Need some input from the Guru's. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2014, 05:34 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need some input from the Guru's.

Brace yourselves, this is going to be a little long but i am looking for some input and advice. Alright i have recently bought a 40' fifth wheel dry weight of 13 500 gross of 18K. My truck is an F250 CCSB, mods in my sig. It towed it very well, even got cut off at 55mph and stopped with plenty of space safely. I am not concerned with the trucks ability to move or even stop the trailer. I have the proper commercial licenses to drive a vehicle that heavy in California as well, however my truck is over its legal limit. Now i could swap in a dually rear axle which would be relatively straight forward and for appearances sake i would be a 1 ton, i even have a matching dana 60 up front, but if for some reason they throw me on a scale i will be well over my maximum, empty i am about 1500lbs over and typically i would probably be 3500 over. I pack light but the trailer is now my home and i have a harley and a tool box in the rear.

So enter my newish plan, and what i am looking for opinions on. The similar year f450 has a gross of 26K, 6K over my 250 giving me the need weight limits. The 450 would also boast a larger frame, axles and brakes. However i have put considerable time and money into the modifications of my truck and it is a crew cab as well which i would like to retain. The engine transmission and transfer case on the 250 is the same as the 3/4/550 so i could swap it over and be solid. My engine has more power, good EGT's a higher rated clutch and a newer trans. My biggest question is the cab swap. I have heard that the frame rails are narrower on the 450s. With that being said would the cab swap still be as simple as just lining up the body mounts and bolting it on? I know that i would need to have additional body mounts added for the crew cab, how difficult would that be? I am looking at 450s with a similar wheelbase so that i will have enough clearance.

Any input is appreciated. I know this may be a little over the top so please only comment if you have something constructive. Also please dont just tell me to buy a medium or heavy duty truck either, i dont want to take that route just yet. Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 05:57 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You can buy a newer 450 roller crew cab long box Dually and even have the coil sprung front, as far as frame being more narrow I believe that's only behind the cab, the cabs are all the same (as in RC is a RC, cc is a cc, and ec is an ec) this sounds like an interesting way to go about keeping "your" truck and still hauling the same, but good luck and keep us posted on a build
Old 07-22-2014, 07:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you swapped your cab and kept your vin# wouldn't they check it and say you are still over weight? If you are worried about the legality part it seems like you'd have to use the cab/vin for the 4/550.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:18 PM

That's very true. I would use the the Vin from what would be the donor truck. I would register that one in my name. I would have to swap the Vin plates in the cab which I assume could cause some small issues but I doubt it would be a big deal seeing as how in the end it would only really be a cab swap
Old 07-23-2014, 05:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Move outta Cali

J/K couldn't resist.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:47 AM

Haha. I'm with you there. The truck is registered in Georgia, which funny enough leave my GVWR blank on my registration.....
Old 07-23-2014, 02:53 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I kept my trucks registered in ga back when I lived in so cal too lol, never once had a problem towing there into or out of the state line (which is like entering a whole different country when you enter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.