Trouble wiring carling switches - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2014, 03:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trouble wiring carling switches

Installing f650 dash piece with switches and gauges. I have to wire up several on-off and on-off-on switches. I already have toggle switches in the truck for the accessories I have. So, all I need to do is replace the toggle switch with the carling switch. The on-off carling switches I have wired up. They work fine. These on-off-on switches are kicking my @$$. I'm following the diagram and I keep blowin fuses. I will uses my fogs as an example. I have them wired up to either be on all the time, off, or on with headlights. When I wire up the carling I can get them to come on, but when I switch to the other on position ( come on with headlights) I blow the fuse. Here's how I had it wired. #7-ground, #8-dash illumination, #2-power in (coming from aux. fuse box that is only powered when ignition is on) #3-power out to low beams, #1-out to relay. I know I must have something backwards. Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2014, 04:51 PM

Ok found some info on how to wire and it still didnt work. Here's how I wired it:

#1-goes to accessory, #2- goes to switched 12v power, #3-goes to 86 relay post, #7- ground, #8-dash illumination.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:44 AM

??? Somebody knows this. There are only five posts at the back of the switch. I know that two of those posts are used for a ground and then illumination coming off the headlight switch. That leaves three posts. Pretty confident that the number two post at the back of the switch is the post that receives the 12 V switched power. That leaves the last two posts running out to my accessories. Know matter which way I wire those two posts it always blows the fuse.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:53 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm not familiar with these switches at all, but, the only time a sw needs a Ground is for the illumination. You say these have TWO???? Are you sure that's right? A wrongly grounded terminal would do as you say, blow fuses....
Old 07-20-2014, 07:22 AM

It only has one ground. Everything I've read said that post #7 is ground. So that's what I've been doin.

My last post was confusing. Sorry. I meant there is only one ground. Not two
Old 07-20-2014, 07:37 AM

the foglights are funky the way the ground is used to switch and lock out use during the brights operation

I am sure thats why your having an issue but since you have it set up with a switch now the carling sould work (obviously) I think in the off position the foglight lead must be connecting to +or- and when you use the OEM switch it shorts

bummer about doing these for someone is finding particular switch pin layout for the carling part # ( they have tons) opening it in paint doing the diagram then posting the pic
Old 07-20-2014, 08:00 AM

I dunno. I'm gonna have to get someone to physically look at. It's hard trying to figure this stuff out when others can't actually look at what you're talking about. My on/off switches work great. I don't know what the deal is with these 3 way switches. It pops the fuses on my fogs, kc driving lights and reverse lights every time
Old 07-20-2014, 10:40 AM

What model number carling switch do you have? DO you have lights in both parts of the switch?
Old 07-20-2014, 10:51 AM

You may need a different switch to do what you are doing. Pin #2 is a common power for both (on) positions. Pin 1 and pin 3 are the outgoing to the two positions. These switches would be used to "replace one accessory for another" like "Headlights on" (off) "Fog lights on" you would need a dpdt switch to do what you are wanting I believe. Or you could just wire it up as a normal 2 position switch, leaving either pin, 1 or 3 blank. pin 7 and 8 are separate as they are for the dash lights. pin 2 is coming from battery (fused) and pin 3 or 1 goes to you KC lights or whatever
Old 07-20-2014, 10:53 AM

Yeah for the on/off/on its V6D2. It's has two LEDs. One big square that lights up green with the parking lights and then a thin rectangular light at the bottom of the switch that lights up amber when the switch is turned on. I have only five posts at the back of the switch. 1,2,3,7 and 8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.