Compression Ignition Addict
Join Date: Jan 2014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Electronics Engineer here, perhaps I can put the 12V thing to rest. The ONLY way you'll feel 12V is if you've lowered your internal resistance to something it can penetrate. Wet body at the point of contact would do it, but no, in normal circumstances, you will NOT feel 12 volts.
The reason it arcs through the wrench is because you're shortening out the two posts with a metal conductor. The resistance on the wrench is equal to something of around 0-10 ohms. Pretty much qualified as a short, with not enough resistance to matter. The human body (Varies from person to person, and conditions) is somewhere around 5Megohms. That's 5 million ohms. That's around 5 million times the resistance of a wrench.
When arcing a wrench, you still wouldn't feel the shock. Perhaps the burn from the sparks hitting you, but that'd be it. High Voltage allows the carry of electrons from one body to another, current (Amps) determines the amount of power that hits you over a period of time.
Chances are, if you felt the voltage of a battery, it'd kill you. 6milliAmps through your heart can kill you. We're talking 1000Amp batteries...
If you got shocked, and it was just a tingle, my assumption would be that you shorted out a capacitor somewhere, and it discharged through you. I've done that a few times, but not by my truck. Not even sure if there's anything with capacitors in the truck, being that the trucks have a constant DC source connected to it. If you were sweating, you could have felt a 12V source, but it couldn't have been direct.
2001 6-Speed F250 SCLB - South Bend SFDD250-6 Dual Disc Clutch - 7.3 with DIY 6637 - Diamond Eye Turbo-back 4 inch straight - TS 6-Pos PHP Tunes - Billet X-Wheel - Foil Delete | 1988 5-Speed F250 SCLB - 7.3 IDI - Stock
Last edited by Wolfesscythe; 07-18-2014 at 01:13 PM.