Got Shocked by My Engine - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2014, 11:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Got Shocked by My Engine

Hey guys been on this site for a few months now and it's been very helpful so thank you all for that, but now I have a question that I haven't been able to come up with any info on. The other day I was working on my truck and I got a little jolt of electricity from it. I was removing the EBPS and I was leaning across the Rad support to reach it and my arm was resting on the engine and I noticed a little tingle from it. This wasn't a real hard shock but enough to feel. Anybody ever experience this or have any ideas what to check. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014, 03:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did you check the connections on your glow plug relay to see if you maybe got the jolt from that? There are 2 larger studs on top of it and one of them is hot at all times. They are usually covered with a rubber boot but those tend to rot away over time, leaving a live power stud right on top.
The Following User Says Thank You to derbybug For This Useful Post:
RebelRiderNC (07-18-2014)
Old 07-17-2014, 03:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yea, you're not going to feel the 12v the GP use. You might, however, feel the 100+v the IDM drives the Injectors with. Thing is, if that voltage was "leaking" out, I'd think the engine would miss...
The Following User Says Thank You to NoRalPh For This Useful Post:
RebelRiderNC (07-18-2014)
Old 07-17-2014, 03:40 PM

Sometimes if you have a good connection you can feel 12v. It happened to me last time I worked on my step dads obs.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You definitely would feel 12V with a good connection. If the OP touched the GPR with a wrench and then leaned on the block with it he would definitely get a jolt. He didn't say it knocked him over or made his hair stand up, he said he got a little tingle from it. The GPR is a common place to see stray voltage discharging if you are unaware it is there or not careful around it. The IDM would zap the hell out of you if you didn't know what you were doing.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:57 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Come On Fellas...

Go grab the + and - of your 1000A battery. Squeeze REAL HARD....
Old 07-17-2014, 04:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yup and then put a metal wrench between the battery posts and let me know how that goes
Old 07-17-2014, 05:55 PM

Believe what you want but it happens. Last time it happened to me I was sweating and was covered in grease. Try greasing up your are and lay it across the batt and see what happens.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have also felt a shock from 12v and that's about what this was. It wasn't a very high amp shock though. I got hit by the battery the same day (was in a hurry, not being as careful as I should) and it'll knock you pretty good. And I also was no where near the GPR. Does the IDM have power on it all the time?
Old 07-18-2014, 01:06 PM

Electronics Engineer here, perhaps I can put the 12V thing to rest. The ONLY way you'll feel 12V is if you've lowered your internal resistance to something it can penetrate. Wet body at the point of contact would do it, but no, in normal circumstances, you will NOT feel 12 volts.

The reason it arcs through the wrench is because you're shortening out the two posts with a metal conductor. The resistance on the wrench is equal to something of around 0-10 ohms. Pretty much qualified as a short, with not enough resistance to matter. The human body (Varies from person to person, and conditions) is somewhere around 5Megohms. That's 5 million ohms. That's around 5 million times the resistance of a wrench.

When arcing a wrench, you still wouldn't feel the shock. Perhaps the burn from the sparks hitting you, but that'd be it. High Voltage allows the carry of electrons from one body to another, current (Amps) determines the amount of power that hits you over a period of time.

Chances are, if you felt the voltage of a battery, it'd kill you. 6milliAmps through your heart can kill you. We're talking 1000Amp batteries...

If you got shocked, and it was just a tingle, my assumption would be that you shorted out a capacitor somewhere, and it discharged through you. I've done that a few times, but not by my truck. Not even sure if there's anything with capacitors in the truck, being that the trucks have a constant DC source connected to it. If you were sweating, you could have felt a 12V source, but it couldn't have been direct.

Last edited by Wolfesscythe; 07-18-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.