7.3 or 6.7 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2014, 12:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 or 6.7

Considering buying a new truck. I currently own an 02 7.3. Just wanted some opinions on the topic of trading for a new 6.7. I would really love y'all's honest opinions, particularly from those who own a 6.7. To all the bias 7.3 guys I know how you feel, so please tell me why haha! Open to pretty much anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2014, 12:51 PM

Stay with the 7.3 because:
No outrageous car payments
Cheaper insurance
No emissions equipment
No worrying about def fluid
Being able to work on it yourself
Strong and dependable
If you do blow a motor your only out $5k instead of $20k
No hpfp to worry about
You don't have to worry about speeding tickets because the 7.3 is slow
7.3LDriver likes this.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

When I was looking for my truck it came down to price. It is a second vehicle for me although its my primary driver. If I would have gotten rid of my car too then I probably would have been gone with a 6.7, probably not brand new but something that still had a warrenty. Since I am new to the diesel world and knew I was going to be getting something that didn't have a warrenty I wanted to get something that I knew would be reliable that also fit in my budget.

I really enjoy my 7.3 but I love the look of the new truck and I love how quiet the new ones are too. I have definitely grown out of the obnoxiously loud trucks.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:18 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'd like a 6.7 fully optioned out with the platinum, heated and cooled seats, sync, sunroof, power rear window, 19.5's, and every other possible awesome option,

But who am I kidding, I can work on my 01 and 95 with pretty good ease, I get better fuel economy, and I own the titles on both, nobody else, literally paid cash for both of them, and cost less to repair or replace if anything happens
badbart likes this.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:32 PM

I'd like a 6.7, but I would need to have a retarded amount of disposable income in order to justify something that I can't work on and costs that much
badbart likes this.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:02 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
its boils down to your choice and your finances...
do you want a 12 year old truck or a 4 year old or newer super-duty with a warranty...

with the 6.7 you basically just gaining the engine, trans, better-frame/front suspension, and that's about it over the 12 year old superduty that has NO emissions and can still be worked on vs lifting the cab on the 2011+ . the truck itself is basically the same truck as the newer super-duty from the front doors back(firewall changed for the new dash).

the 7.3 is reliable, the 6.7.... questionable, just go look at the 6.7 section, the emissions over fuel the engine during the regen cycle causing the oil to be diluted with diesel and the catastrophic failure seems to be common because of the tight tolerances on the fuel injection system. so there is possibly a good engine under the emissions but if you delete the emissions you void the warrenty and end up with a paperweight if something goes wrong
Old 07-16-2014, 06:15 PM
Premium Member

Don't do it, get it out of your head right now! J/k, really, though I work on all of these all day long, and the bells and whistles are great, but it's just a truck, a 7.3 is more of a truck than any other. You will miss the sound and pure grunt of the 7.3. I will say this, when you give a 7.3 throttle, its just that you get it right away. On any other 6.0, 6.4,6.7 you pretty much ask the computer to give you throttle, the 7.3 yes your asking it also, but has less safety monitors, so you get what you get. Simple is just hard to beat. JMHO, another plus is the 7.3 will always be worth more than any of them, down the road.
badbart and Austen like this.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:00 PM

If you can afford it and want some newer technology, then go for it.

My biggest thing would be reliability. I would definitely, without question get an extended warranty. I think it's safe to say that for the most part the 6.7 has a pretty good track record however if something did go wrong such as water getting into the fuel system, unexpected turbo failure or dropped valve, the repair would be very costly if the truck was not under warranty. There is a lot more that can go wrong and because any repair like is going to be through the roof costly, having the extended warranty would be a major cushion.

It really all depends what side of the fence you fall on. I like the simple design of the 7.3 and reliability. If something does go wrong, it's most likely going to be simple and not take diagnostics to find the issue and not break the bank either.

This is also just a personal preference thing, but I honestly like the crude nature of the 7.3 and how it gives me the whole diesel experience. I like hearing sound of the engine over the radio, rowing through the gears and smelling the fumes of diesel when I have the windows down at a stop light.

Understandably, if that type of thing isn't important to you, then the newer much more luxurious 6.7 is going to be appealing.
badbart and joebuck like this.

Last edited by Austen; 07-16-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:10 AM
Serving Our Country!

I currently have two 7.3's, a 2001 and a 2002.

I agree that simple is good after dealing with a 6.4 HPFP. If the aftermarket companies would come out with a robust HPFP for the 6.4, it would be very tempting.

I am waiting to see how the 2015 6.7 engine improvements pan out. The turbo on the 2011-2012 was scary.

The real issue is price. I can't see spending $40k+ on a truck then deleting it (my personal choice) and worrying about my warranty.

I lived this on my 2009. Here's a scenario that contributed to owning a 7.3: I am out of town in my new truck (DPF is at home deleted/tuned 6.4) and it won't start. Now I was forced to pray that a dealership I did not know, would honor my warranty. I personally would not take that chance again. Just my personal experience.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:50 AM
Gunner

My brother has a 2013 6.7. He pays a ****load in payments for his truck. It is plush and has gobs of power, drives nice and has a very refined feeling. If I had a bag of cash sitting around I would probably get one. It does feel cheap in some areas beaucse of the increased use in lighter manufacturing materials (tailgate only wieghs 10 pounds maybe).

My 2003 7.3 is paid for. I can buy a lot of after market goodies for a smidgen of his truck payment and have a well maintained and well built truck that easily does anything I would ask it too.
Austen likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to GunnerB For This Useful Post:
area51 (08-05-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.