Brake lights? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 08:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brake lights?

My brother noticed yesterday that my brake lights on the trailer were not working. Usually a bad connection or a fuse but not this time. So far I have checked both fuse boxes, all the bulbs are fine, connectors are fine, 3rd brake light is good, turn signals work, hazards, running lights, but no brakes?

I also checked for voltage at the brake pedal switch and it has 2 sources of 12v constant. While the pedal is depressed, I get 1 green wire with red line on it that activates and passes current but not thru the other wires.

Also, my truck has a electric brake controller in the cab for a trailer. When I press the button on the side to engage the lights, the brake lights for the truck and the trailer come on?!?!?

Stumped here, any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 08:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Get a test light and test the 7 way plug. Here's a diagram. Brake lights?-imageuploadedbyag-free1405356756.052419.jpg
I would hook your ground up to the frame and have someone step on the brake. You should have power to 6 and 7. Also check the ground on the 7 way by hooking the ground to 1 and touching 4, or 5 or 6 while the brake is pushed.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No 7 way. Only has a 6 way and a 4 flat. Someone must have switched it over (previous owner or something)

It has always worked fine in the past. This just came about 3 days ago.

Also, I am getting no power to the brake bulb connectors in the tail lights while pedal is depressed. Tested it with meter.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did you check the trailer light fuses in the under hood fuse box? Touch your meter to both sides of your fuse while the key is on. How did they get the 6 way to fit in the 7 way spot. Shoot a picture so I could see.
The Following User Says Thank You to sbluke55 For This Useful Post:
awdbare (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 06:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

They didn't put it in the same spot. Someone put a 6 way in one of the holes for the tag plate light. Im not sure why either, I personally would rather have the 7 way but whatever for right now.

I ended up figuring it out. It was the brake light switch all along, I went with a hunch a luckily I was right. For 15 bux it wasn't a bad gamble so I went for it.

Thank you very much for offering up some input !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.