Max. speed in documents / Tire speed index - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2014, 04:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Max. speed in documents / Tire speed index

Hi Guys,

bought an F-250 7.3 SC LB SRW Automatic trans a few weeks ago and need some informations to get prepared for the registration process in germany.
I bought it in the Netherlands and in this country there are some specifications missing in the official documents. Somebody removed the sticker which say everything about weights, wheels and some other specifications.

So i may have some questions in the next few weeks.

The truck was built in January 2000.

My first question, because i need new tires for it:
What is the maximum speed of this truck, Ford announced in the original documents?
or
Informations about the needed speedindex off the tires ?

If someone can tell me where at Ford i can get a new "sticker" please let me know.

Thanks a lot for any response

Manfred
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2014, 05:15 AM

I don't know about getting a new sticker, but you can go here: Identify Your Ford, Lincoln or Mercury Vehicle | Official Ford Owner Site to get an online copy of your owner's manual and diesel supplements from Ford that will have all the information you are looking for so far.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:02 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
the computer limits the truck to 95 or 100mph from the factory. so ford documentation is going to say the truck is limited to those speeds...

if you cant find documentation maybe try talking to a engine tuner and see if he can go into the computer and get a print out? again only if you are running stock tuning.

sorry if im not much help...

if i was going to be running it on the autobahn in germany i would be looking at tires rated around 130-150mph(if tuned),(i like a little of a cielling on my tires) any more than that you are probably going to be out of rpms or my guess is pretty unstable without modifying the suspension(is it 2wd to 4wd?)

Last edited by alaskan155; 07-13-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thumbs up

Thanks for the response.

First : Its a 4x4 and i am very surprised with this truck. I bought it an ddrove it home ~ 460 miles. The son of the owner told me to fuel up on the way home, i will never reach my hometown. I used Cruisecontrol most times and ~ 65 mph and got a mpg of 22,4 !

@ alaskan: the time to spped on europes motorways has gone! most times they are ruled down to 80 mph and the new trucks are limted at 50 mph. So i hope to come out with a reglementation around 80 mph. Most tires of the required size are limited at 100 mph.
I will ask my local Ford-Dealer if it is possible for him to read the informations. The one i am sure he can is 200 miles away.

@ blkdrgn42: Thank you for the link . I downloaded the documents and contacted Ford.
Waiting for the answer know.

Manfred
Old 07-13-2014, 05:07 PM

That's even better than I have ever managed, so good deal there! Be ready for a bunch of disbelievers and haters to tell you how wrong you are and how you must be lying. Ignore them.

Secondly, speed rating is not as much of an issue as load rating is. Unless you plan on racing it or tearing down roads at stupid speeds for so large and cumbersome of a truck, you won't have to worry about blowing out a tire due to speed. Make sure that you put an "E" load rated tire on and you should be fine. If you don't plan on doing any towing, you could probably get away with "D" rating, but that is at your own risk and choice.
The Following User Says Thank You to blkdrgn42 For This Useful Post:
manfred65 (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 11:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You´re right ! In Germany it´s not "normal" to drive such a truck.

One guy told me he drives with 7.3 litres (per 100 kms = ~32 mpg ) I told him:

Yes, me too

Our speed and weight rating have another system, so i will choose tires rated at 3400 lbs/tire.

Our european Union is more worse than ever. This is the reason of my speed index question. The Italians punish 4x4 and camper drivers if they use winter tires ( most 4x4 tires are winter legal here ) with a lower speed index than documented. max. punishment ~ 2300,- $$ + confiscation of the truck
I have to wait which speed is written in the registration documents and buy the tires with the correct speed index. Italy is near and a preferred travel region.

Now you can understand my questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
max. speed, speed index, vin-sticker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.