Remote start questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2014, 11:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Remote start questions

Hello all from a newbie here. Great forum and very helpful info. So I recently picked up an 02 F350 7.3L crew cab long box. Cleaning out the glove box I find an owners manual for a Ford factory remote starter. Looking at the windshield I see a remote antenna above the mirror. Looking under the dash by the factory fuse block I see a bunch of extra wires and connectors, 7 fuses, emergency override button, Ford Vehicle Security System black box zip tied up under the dash, etc..... under there. So it appears that there is a factory remote starter installed in the truck. I picked up a factory remote from Ford to operate it. Part# 2W7Z-15K601-BA. This remote matches the drawing of the remote in the owners manual. So I follow the programming instructions in the manual, but nothing happens. According to the manual, the horn is supposed to sound 3 times to let me know the system has entered the remote programming mode with the ignition on and the override button pushed and held for 15 seconds. Well it doesn't do anything. No horn. And yes, the horn works.
I tested all 7 fuses in the pack under the dash and they all have power on both sides.

So, my question is, can anyone help me diagnose this system and get it working? I don't know much about remote starting systems but do know quite a bit about diesels and Fords. ANY help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and again, great forum and info here for all things Powerstroke!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2014, 11:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have a remote start on my truck but I bought it like that so I don't know a lot about how they work but if you can get the make and model I'm sure someone on here can you.
And welcome to the org
Old 07-12-2014, 12:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Look under the hood for a power wire that isn't connected, if the previous owner didn't have the remote it is likely that they disable the system so it wouldn't set off the alarm when not using the proper remote.

When I bought my truck, 2001 Lariat, the previous owner didn't have any of the factory remotes. I picked one up and got it working, awesome, but then I was messing with the fuse box I saw all the extra wiring and box for a viper system, even better I already have remote start on my truck. Well I go to get a remote programmed and it wouldn't work so I had all but given up on it. A few months later while I was wiring up my amp I saw a fused wire that wasn't connnected. Ran back to the shop, hooked up the wire, and within 10min I had a working remote start.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I didn't get any remotes with my truck either. I picked up 2 of the factory remotes for the lock/unlock/panic and programmed them. They work fine, but are not capable of the start function. I bought a brand new remote for the starter from Ford, but the remote programming mode isn't working, as of yet. I have looked under the hood for the usual switch for the hood being open, but there isn't anything under the hood that I can see. There is a yellow 16 gauge wire with an inline fuse (fuse removed) coming off the positive side of the driver side battery. That wire runs down the firewall and to the rear of the box of the truck (in the topper). I believe that wire was for a power source at the rear of the truck because there is a same gauge yellow wire that dead-ends by the tailgate.
I did not find any wiring under the hood that I would believe is part of the remote start system. There is no "hood open" switch under the hood either. There is, however, a warning sticker that gives the usual idiot warning about the truck having a remote starter system and to be careful when working under the hood. Blah blah blah...........

I looked on the black box under the dash that says "FORD VEHICLE SECURITY SYSTEM" on one side and the wiring diagram on the other side. There doesn't appear to be any model # listed on it. It is a Ford part and there appears to be a sticker on the corner of the wiring diagram side that may be covering the part number but the sticker is about the size of an old fashioned price tag (boy do I feel old saying that)
Old 07-13-2014, 08:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I am still betting that it is a power wire not hooked up. You might have to look a little harder or take it to ford.

Does the manual have installation instructions? If so that might shed some light on what you are looking for.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The manual is just an owners manual. No installation instructions unfortunately. Would Ford have installed this system with a power wire hooked up to the battery or would they have powered it right from the fuse block? There is only the 1 yellow wire that I mentioned above under the hood. I will have to check the main power feed off the black box under the dash to see if there is power to the system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.