Down Under Dually - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 08:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Down Under Dually

Hi everyone, great forum and I'm a constant lurker. I've read heaps of info about F trucks and I'm hoping you all can help me make some decisions.

First off Im in Australia. We have a fair amount RHD Brazilian built trucks down here. I however am the proud owner of a USA built F350 dually 2wd bought new in late 99, shipped here and converted to RHD in 2000. It has done only 50000kilometres! Yep 50. I bought it from the original guy that imported it so it's a one owner truck only used on weekends to tow race cars. And for those curious......your looking at $70,000 Australian to buy one like it 2nd hand. Things are different down here!

Its a 7.3 powerstoke with the 4r100 auto with banks stinger kit (larger turbo bla bla) and ottomind on the tranny. It came with a few nice bits like all XLT options 4.10 rear, 4 inch stainless straight through exhaust, heavy duty sway bars, AIS air box with the mod for cleaner air through grill cowl, magtec diff and tranny covers and the list goes on. It's got boost and egt gauge plus tranny and diff temp gauges.

My 2 questions are....taking it is essentially a highway hauler towing my race car.
1. I'm not sure what to do with the banks engine and tranny chip. DP reckons I should pull off the tranny stuff and change the ecu chip but as I didn't install these I'm not sure whether pulling these off and changing is the way to go. The truck goes ok, but only pulls 20psi of boost if I mash it hard and it feels like its got a bit of a choke hold on performance. Do I just remove the tranny banks stuff, pull the chip out and go a 6pos chip or similar from DP Tuner or other.

2. I don't have a FASS air/water inline separator and am not sure which best to get? I also here running the direct diesel fuel rail conversion with regulator is a good idea to eliminate that starving no 8 especially as that no 6 is just before 8 in the firing order.. I hear it quietness down the rattles and improve performance.

The Aussie guys sorta do different stuff with their trucks as they essentially are a bit different to the US counterpart. Over here we could buy the 7.3 auto up to late 2006. I don't think you guys had that option.

Any help or where/what the next move is for me based on your advice is greatly appreciated. I'm not racing it I just want to get it workin right and smooth. I've gone through the entire truck with new fluids, tie rod ends, bilstein shocks etc etc so now it's just getting some nice smooth grunty performance without sacrificing reliability and also installing the items that will protect its durability.

Kindest regards Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
1. Id stay away from Banks stuff. At least for Ford trucks. There are almost 200,000 members on this forum and maybe a handful of people use their stuff. Sounds like you have boost leaks with only that many miles on the truck for only getting 20psi boost. Doubtful the turbo is bad. Check all the up pipe connections for black soot around them on the hot side and check all your connections on the intercooler boots on the cold side, and also the air filter. If it cant suck air in, its not going to have anything to boost. I sell the the TS chips, Powerstruck chips, the PHP Hydra (which is by far the best product for the 7.3), and many other standard handheld programmers. You having a US model makes is much easier to work with.

2. Stay far far away from the FASS or AD fuel systems for the 7.3 and 6.0 trucks. Not saying they are bad in general, but they are well known for high failure rates for our models. They are great for low pressure fuel delivery. Your stock pump is far superior in reliabilty and pressure to hold even medium HP aftermarket injectors. I have 2 fuel line kits that take care of the #8 starvation issue. For your situation, the competition model would be a waste of money unless you plan on going big horsepower. The fuel bowl retain kit will hold no problem a 600hp truck and is only $250US. For any particulars Matt, please email me(easiest to keep track of) or PM me on here.

By the way, what company do you work for? Besides my shop, I work for BlueScope. Ive got quite a few friends from down under and New Zealand.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:52 PM
aussie=effie

Smile down under

Gday mate. Bob from Melbourne, 1998 250 Powerstroke 7.3 Auto. MBRP 4 IN stainless exhaust and HP Crossover otherwise stock. Plan to hook a 5th wheeler up to it soon and nick off around Oz fishing and golfing, and a drink or 2.

cya
The Following User Says Thank You to bob harris For This Useful Post:
hucorey (09-02-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob harris View Post
Gday mate. Bob from Melbourne, 1998 250 Powerstroke 7.3 Auto. MBRP 4 IN stainless exhaust and HP Crossover otherwise stock. Plan to hook a 5th wheeler up to it soon and nick off around Oz fishing and golfing, and a drink or 2.

cya
Sounds like a great time. I bet yall dont drink Foster's beer either, right?
Old 09-02-2014, 07:01 PM
aussie=effie

Red face

no beer, just a good dry red, good marinade too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.