Is this normal? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2014, 06:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is this normal?

I was looking at my leaf springs and noticed that they have, what seems to me to be, an odd gap between the two leaves. I referenced the picture to my dads truck and his do not have the gap and we both have V codes up front. Is this normal? or are my front springs showing signs of wear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2014, 07:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine aren't like that.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:30 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Does the top spring have any cracks in it? Seems like it may be broken since it's spread like that
Old 07-11-2014, 04:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
Does the top spring have any cracks in it? Seems like it may be broken since it's spread like that

No cracks. Could this be caused by the hangar kit that the PO installed? I believe the front hangar is a 3inch but the rear hangar is stock. Could it be putting a weird strain on the spring?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-11-2014, 04:28 AM

I'm guessing on what happened. But what I think happened is your shackle bound up into the frame and your spring had nowhere to go and it bent when you compressed the suspension. Do you have any marks on the frame where the shackle may of hit?
Old 07-11-2014, 05:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbluke55 View Post
I'm guessing on what happened. But what I think happened is your shackle bound up into the frame and your spring had nowhere to go and it bent when you compressed the suspension. Do you have any marks on the frame where the shackle may of hit?
I couldn't see any wear marks, but they could have worn away because the truck doesn't really get used as a "truck" anymore down here in key west . Is it safe to say this is why my truck rides like a 1913 horse and carriage?
Old 07-11-2014, 06:30 AM

It's possible. When your at ride height your shackle should be straight up and down. To cause that much damage it would of had to bottom out really hard. To test my theory you could get a go pro and point it to the shackle and hit a few bumps and see if it gets close to hitting. If you don't have a go pro get a few friends and bounce the front end while you watch it. With the bend in your spring your shackle is actually sitting farther from the frame. If you straighten it out it would be closer to touching. Again this is what I'm suspecting what happened. It's hard to tell from a picture. I would take measurements from your shackle bolt on the frame to your bolt For your spring on the hanger and compare your measurements to your dad's truck. I say to fix it you have to replace your springs and possibly move your front hanger forward or get a new hanger kit if your measurements are less than your dad's truck.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:48 AM

Another thing I was thinking is if the bump stops are still at stock height and it has a 3" hanger kit. If it got bottomed out it would travel farther than it was intended to and cause damage also
Old 07-12-2014, 09:12 PM

It looks like the second leaf there just slid laterally which puts the center of the second leafy further towards the back of the truck from the first leaf. Loosen the u bolts and maker sure the center pin which holds all your leads together didn't break and cause the leaf to "walk" I've had this happen many tines on my heavily lifted trucks that see a lot of trail time just do to constant fatigue and over flexing, as you could possibly see from not having the bump stops lowered with the 3in level kit ..... Just another thought and possible place to take a gander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.