Looking at a 2002 f-250 with the 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking at a 2002 f-250 with the 7.3

New to this forum and have a couple questions. I know the 7.3 liter powerstroke was one of the better diesel engines that ford has made (in my opinion) and I'm going to look at a 2002 f250 with 130,000 miles on it this weekend at a dealership, there asking price is 16,900. I know a lot of you on here have a lot more experience and insight into powerstrokes and was hoping y'all could help. Is this a good price for the low miles? What things should I be looking for on a test drive/inspection of the truck?? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2014, 05:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

First thing is how does it run, how easy does it start up, does it take a few seconds or fire right. Then flip the oil cap over and see if the pressure blows it off if it does walk away. Check for any leaks on top of the motor and crawl underneath and look for leaks, this will be hard because the dealership will detail them making them look showroom good.

When test driving note how does it idle, how smooth does the transmission shift, is there any play in the steering, how do the brake's feel, etc....

Depending on the condition of the body and interior that might be a fair price but of course I'd start off below what they are asking, I'd start off a 15K but that's just me, I hate salesman and I have no problem telling them that, I'm not there to get screwed over or they can find someone else.
The Following User Says Thank You to hansel For This Useful Post:
josdnunl (07-10-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 05:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What does flipping the oil cap over do exactly? Test compression or what??

Thanks for the advice, I know a little bit about diesel engines but figured all of the guys on here would know a lot more.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josdnunl View Post
What does flipping the oil cap over do exactly? Test compression or what??

Thanks for the advice, I know a little bit about diesel engines but figured all of the guys on here would know a lot more.
Yes, you are testing for crankcase pressure, so if it blows the cap off means you have excessive crankcase pressure meaning weak rings or other damage.

I'm sure I've forgotten some stuff, but other's will chirp in
Old 07-10-2014, 06:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

16,900 is a little steep, I agree with hansel, try to get them down to at least the 15k range.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

KBB says the truck is worth 14800, figured id start around there and see where it got me, thanks for the advice Hansel, Its been owned by the same person for the last 100,000 miles and not even 15000 miles a year was put on it. Im hoping that is a good sign, although i've heard that the worst thing for an engine is to let it sit....
Old 07-11-2014, 06:30 AM

A good truck is always worth more than the average price. If it's been well cared for, properly maintained, and still looks great you're going to pay more than a comparable truck with the same mileage that has been ridden hard. Pull the Carfax, look for service records, and look at the undercarriage to see how it's been cared for. The undercarriage of a truck tells a lot about how it's been cared for over its life… Anyone can wash the body of a truck on a weekly basis, but a truck with a clean undercarriage shows that the truck has been well taken care of.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:34 AM

And You want to see the truck start cold. I flew up to Georgia to buy my truck, and I told the dealer on the phone to leave it in one place and not move it for several hours before I got there because I wanted to see it coldstart. When you get there Pop the hood and put your hand on the turbo to see if it is truly cold.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:34 AM

Check for rust too if it is a northern truck. And if the truck is all stock then that i a plus. But if i is not and has a tuner/other mods then that might mean it was driven harder than usual.
Sounds like a great find! And welcome to the forum!
Old 07-11-2014, 08:59 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have a friend that has one I believe is $14,500 and is mint condition if interested ill put you in touch with him its located in Fl on the gulf coast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.