Things falling apart.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Things falling apart....

My 2003, F250, 7.3 has lived its entire life in Texas. Around October I had to move to Barrington, IL for work. In Texas I rarely had any problems with the truck besides the maintanence and usual wear and tear. I wasn't in Barrington for 2 weeks when the transmission slipped and gave out. I get it back from the rebuild and a week later I notice my tires were cambered out. Had to replace all the ball joints and one new tie rod. A month later my first blown injector. This month I've had complete hell from the cold reeking havoc on my truck. I don't get it. Is it the weather just completely raping my truck? Or a series of the usual failures. What else can I expect to go wrong on a 7.3 with 160k miles on her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Serving Our Country!

Sounds pretty normal, extreme cold tends to identify weaknesses in these trucks.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:53 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoutsfly View Post
My 2003, F250, 7.3 has lived its entire life in Texas. Around October I had to move to Barrington, IL for work. In Texas I rarely had any problems with the truck besides the maintanence and usual wear and tear. I wasn't in Barrington for 2 weeks when the transmission slipped and gave out. I get it back from the rebuild and a week later I notice my tires were cambered out. Had to replace all the ball joints and one new tie rod. A month later my first blown injector. This month I've had complete hell from the cold reeking havoc on my truck. I don't get it. Is it the weather just completely raping my truck? Or a series of the usual failures. What else can I expect to go wrong on a 7.3 with 160k miles on her?
Usual failures that would cost you much more if you were doing them more often... 160k the motor is just broken in but it's still a truck day in and day out.

Trust me, if you saw how much I've put into my truck this week... well nevermind it's my toy
Old 01-21-2009, 11:12 AM

Besides a block heater and the 911 additive, are there any other actions I can take to prevent the cold weather from tearing my truck up??
Old 01-21-2009, 11:20 AM
International Threat

Cold weather will not have any effect on it if things are working properly.

Poor connections at the batteries can cause a myriad of problems. Get REALLY clean terminals and make those suckers TIGHT. Next make sure your GPR is up to snuff, that way your glow plugs are working. If they're working and the above mentioned items are good there is no reason your truck won't start RIGHT off in 0* temperatures without being plugged in.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:25 AM

Im half-*** new to diesels so acronyms are still a little for foreign to me. What is a GPR and how do I make sure it is up to snuff??
Old 01-21-2009, 12:57 PM
International Threat

Glow Plug Relay.

Test it with a multimeter... when you have the key turned forward both big contacts should have 12v.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.