Which Starter Do You Like? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 04:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which Starter Do You Like?

Well im sick of my slow azz starter. Yes i have checked the cables, and have new batteries. I want to know which starter you all recommend. I want it to turn over like a four banger!!......Chad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnstroker View Post
Well im sick of my slow azz starter. Yes i have checked the cables, and have new batteries. I want to know which starter you all recommend. I want it to turn over like a four banger!!......Chad
Subscribing to this one...im tired of the slow turn over speed on my truck as well.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:12 AM

I was reading around on another forum and there was a guy saying that this starter is good
100% NEW FORD 7.3L DIESEL STARTER POWERSTROKE HD 7.3 17578 SMT0024: SMT0024 / 17578-New DB Electrical Starter-Alternator

I am just going off what he told me when I asked him about it...
Old 01-21-2009, 06:15 AM

i got one from autozone and it works great. turns over like a raped ape.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:32 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

DB makes the best Starters and Alternators you will find. I heard they were selling on Ebay now. Stay away from the Auto Zone, Advance etc.... lifetime warranty junk!! They use the cheapest parts they can find!! Very strange, the link Tubular linked to above shows the starter being for a 94-00 PSD, I wasn't aware there was a change in the starter from early 99 to late 99. You better call them. I know they make them for the 99-03 trucks.

NCH
Old 01-21-2009, 07:48 AM
Ole White

I went with a Powermaster gear reduction one through Summit Racing and it works great much better than the stocker

Powermaster 9051 - Powermaster OEM-Style High Torque Replacement Starters - summitracing.com
Old 01-21-2009, 07:57 AM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
I second/Third the db starter. That is what I will be ordering this week to replace my starter.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:01 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
I have an Oriely's life time warranty starter. I have no problems with it.

The 99-01 PSd can replace that big slow heavy 3 mounting bolt starter with the newer High torque starter for a 2002-03 7.3L psd.

The high torque one uses only two of the three bolt holes.

The one from Oriely's is made by Bosch.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

Is the one from Oreilly's a new starter? Usually the Lifetime warranty units are rebuilds, and they use the cheapest parts they can in them, so it may have been a Bosch originally, but all you have now is a Bosch case. If they are new Bosch starters with a lifetime warranty how much are they?
That's good to know about the difference in starters I wasn't aware of that, still doesn't explain why they stop at 2000 though.

Bottom line is you can't beat DB for either Alt or starters!!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:31 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
Is the one from Oreilly's a new starter? Usually the Lifetime warranty units are rebuilds, and they use the cheapest parts they can in them, so it may have been a Bosch originally, but all you have now is a Bosch case. If they are new Bosch starters with a lifetime warranty how much are they?
That's good to know about the difference in starters I wasn't aware of that, still doesn't explain why they stop at 2000 though.

Bottom line is you can't beat DB for either Alt or starters!!
Came in a Bosch box, cost was around 219.00. With life time warranty.

I found out about the different starters back when my first starter went out. I had like 100,000 miles on the truck. It came with the two bolt high torque one. How ever the bell housing has the third hole.

The bendixgear was the same tooth count and diameter. So I figured I would take the gamble. Bought the three bolt heavy starter. Went to the hardware store with one of the starter bolts. Bought one grade 8 bolt that was the same thread and size as the starter bolt. Went home and installed the three bolt starter. It worked for about 75,000 miles. Then when that starter went bad they had the two bolt high torque one in stock finally. But they would not swap them out for warranty. The three bolt I had was lifetime reman.

But they did accept the three bolt for my core return.

It is good to know that both starters will work. Because if your truck goes down and you need a starter. But can only get the three bolt starter. You now know it will work. Just have to get the third starter bolt.

Last edited by bigcountrysg; 01-21-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.