4r100/e4od vs zf5/zf6 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4r100/e4od vs zf5/zf6

What are the weeknesses and stregths of them? Im curious because im looking at buying a 7.3 and i know what to look for but im having trouble making my mind up on which one to get i plan on doing some towing and the truck will be my daliy driver too so ill have to rely on it....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2014, 07:26 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Do you want bigger power? How heavy do you tow?

E4od/zf5 is obs, 4r100/zf6 is SD, which body style do you want? Of planning to add a bunch of power the auto's WILL need beefing up to hold, the hand shakers will need clutches upgraded, do you like shifting or holding your big gulp more?
Old 07-08-2014, 07:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I like shifting and ill be towing a 65 falcon drag car to the races and eventually id like to have around 400 hp in the 7.3 the body style probly a super duty

Old 07-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

4r100/e4od vs zf5/zf6

A zf6 is stronger out of the box then a 4r100.
Personally, I love my zf6 and don't see myself changing back to auto.
But as he said, if your looking to get around 400hp definitely upgrade the clutch.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-08-2014, 05:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I looked at a 2000 250 with a zf6 it drives nice but the clutch is fussy going into reverse what could be wrong ever other gear is fine....

Old 07-08-2014, 05:52 PM

Synchros probably, one thing to keep in mind is how much shifting you want to do, if at all, the stick is much better suited for towing IMHO, but I have kids and ride alone with them often, so I'm not fiddling with it much, that and I like eating my burrito while steering with my knees and not shifting

If I only towed with it I'd do a stick tho, but it's my DD too
Old 07-08-2014, 06:07 PM

How many km on the truck?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-08-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
im having trouble making my mind up on which one to get i plan on doing some towing and the truck will be my daliy driver too so ill have to rely on it....
Have you driven a HD truck before with a manual? If not, you will want to make sure it's something that you will not mind. Test drive some of these manual trucks, if you can find some.

If the auto is not already been built, that is something to consider as it will most likely in the future need to be especially if you start adding power. Upgrading the trans in a diesel truck is just part of the name of the game. It is a several thousand dollar expense.

To put a stronger clutch in a manual is considerably less than rebuilding an auto.

Driving a manual, especially in a HD truck, takes the right person. It is not for everybody, that is for sure. The manual is for a true vehicle enthusiast who appreciates having the involved experience of having as much control over your driving experience as possible. If this is you, then it may be up your alley. If you do not care so much about that sort of thing, then honestly, you probably will not like it at all.

You'll find the small majority of folks that drive a manual diehard enthusiasts that wouldn't have it any other way and the ones that don't claim they would never in a million years step close to a handshaker.

You'll know which side of the fence you fall on pretty quick once you drive one.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

test drive, test drive, then test drive some more. I have a zf6 truck. For what i do, its pain in the ***. I wish I would have gotten an auto. I know once i start hualing around a race car i might like it better, but honestly, at this point im thinking about selling it off, or sucking it up and trying to swap an auto in.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austen View Post
Have you driven a HD truck before with a manual? If not, you will want to make sure it's something that you will not mind. Test drive some of these manual trucks, if you can find some.

If the auto is not already been built, that is something to consider as it will most likely in the future need to be especially if you start adding power. Upgrading the trans in a diesel truck is just part of the name of the game. It is a several thousand dollar expense.

To put a stronger clutch in a manual is considerably less than rebuilding an auto.

Driving a manual, especially in a HD truck, takes the right person. It is not for everybody, that is for sure. The manual is for a true vehicle enthusiast who appreciates having the involved experience of having as much control over your driving experience as possible. If this is you, then it may be up your alley. If you do not care so much about that sort of thing, then honestly, you probably will not like it at all.

You'll find the small majority of folks that drive a manual diehard enthusiasts that wouldn't have it any other way and the ones that don't claim they would never in a million years step close to a handshaker.

You'll know which side of the fence you fall on pretty quick once you drive one.
I cannot totally agree here, my trucks are auto, my cars are stick, it's a slightly higher expense, but unless I'm loaded and headin for hills I have no issue being auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.