4r100/e4od vs zf5/zf6 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-07-2014, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Conner"mac"Henry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4r100/e4od vs zf5/zf6

What are the weeknesses and stregths of them? Im curious because im looking at buying a 7.3 and i know what to look for but im having trouble making my mind up on which one to get i plan on doing some towing and the truck will be my daliy driver too so ill have to rely on it....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Conner"mac"Henry is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 07-07-2014, 08:26 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!


 
351fifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canton and kennesaw
Posts: 23,174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 34
Thanked 205 Times in 193 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Do you want bigger power? How heavy do you tow?

E4od/zf5 is obs, 4r100/zf6 is SD, which body style do you want? Of planning to add a bunch of power the auto's WILL need beefing up to hold, the hand shakers will need clutches upgraded, do you like shifting or holding your big gulp more?

-Kris-
2011 f150 ecoboost 4x4 323/452 on php dyno 11/16/13
1995 CCLB DRW 324K
2001 CCLB DRW 319K
Dp tuner infinity, exhaust, intake, chipped, tricked, and wrecked


Quote:
Originally Posted by marine5811
The stock downpipe in an OBS is flat because I'm a ginger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta 7.3
Finding a decent woman is like shopping for a used truck. You spend most of your time picking through the money pits, wrecks, and basket cases until you find one that you can tolerate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFLASH
Well at least you caught the loose bolts before they cause any damage. Nothing worse than a sloppy hole
351fifty is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 07-08-2014, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Conner"mac"Henry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I like shifting and ill be towing a 65 falcon drag car to the races and eventually id like to have around 400 hp in the 7.3 the body style probly a super duty

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Conner"mac"Henry is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 07-08-2014, 03:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
BrodieBiking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4r100/e4od vs zf5/zf6

A zf6 is stronger out of the box then a 4r100.
Personally, I love my zf6 and don't see myself changing back to auto.
But as he said, if your looking to get around 400hp definitely upgrade the clutch.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App


2002 F350 CCLB DRW
ZF6 SWAPPED! --Southbend 1944-6OFEK
12.5in lift on 24.5's----------3" Body Lift
MBRP Dual 4"--------------Muffler Delete
K&N Intake----------------AFE Spider
Garret GTP38R BB--------- P.I.S. billet wheel
TS 6pos chip--------------NLTD tunes
P.I.S. 200cc/80%--------- P.I.S. IDM
Parrot Asteroid-------Boston Accoustic SR80's
NVX VCW 10s------------ McIntosh MC431
Warn Manual hubs---------Bed Rails/Air tank
BrodieBiking is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 07-08-2014, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Conner"mac"Henry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I looked at a 2000 250 with a zf6 it drives nice but the clutch is fussy going into reverse what could be wrong ever other gear is fine....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Conner"mac"Henry is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 07-08-2014, 06:52 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!


 
351fifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canton and kennesaw
Posts: 23,174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 34
Thanked 205 Times in 193 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Synchros probably, one thing to keep in mind is how much shifting you want to do, if at all, the stick is much better suited for towing IMHO, but I have kids and ride alone with them often, so I'm not fiddling with it much, that and I like eating my burrito while steering with my knees and not shifting

If I only towed with it I'd do a stick tho, but it's my DD too

-Kris-
2011 f150 ecoboost 4x4 323/452 on php dyno 11/16/13
1995 CCLB DRW 324K
2001 CCLB DRW 319K
Dp tuner infinity, exhaust, intake, chipped, tricked, and wrecked


Quote:
Originally Posted by marine5811
The stock downpipe in an OBS is flat because I'm a ginger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta 7.3
Finding a decent woman is like shopping for a used truck. You spend most of your time picking through the money pits, wrecks, and basket cases until you find one that you can tolerate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFLASH
Well at least you caught the loose bolts before they cause any damage. Nothing worse than a sloppy hole
351fifty is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 07-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
BrodieBiking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How many km on the truck?


Sent from AutoGuide.com App


2002 F350 CCLB DRW
ZF6 SWAPPED! --Southbend 1944-6OFEK
12.5in lift on 24.5's----------3" Body Lift
MBRP Dual 4"--------------Muffler Delete
K&N Intake----------------AFE Spider
Garret GTP38R BB--------- P.I.S. billet wheel
TS 6pos chip--------------NLTD tunes
P.I.S. 200cc/80%--------- P.I.S. IDM
Parrot Asteroid-------Boston Accoustic SR80's
NVX VCW 10s------------ McIntosh MC431
Warn Manual hubs---------Bed Rails/Air tank
BrodieBiking is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 07-08-2014, 11:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Austen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks: 137
Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
im having trouble making my mind up on which one to get i plan on doing some towing and the truck will be my daliy driver too so ill have to rely on it....
Have you driven a HD truck before with a manual? If not, you will want to make sure it's something that you will not mind. Test drive some of these manual trucks, if you can find some.

If the auto is not already been built, that is something to consider as it will most likely in the future need to be especially if you start adding power. Upgrading the trans in a diesel truck is just part of the name of the game. It is a several thousand dollar expense.

To put a stronger clutch in a manual is considerably less than rebuilding an auto.

Driving a manual, especially in a HD truck, takes the right person. It is not for everybody, that is for sure. The manual is for a true vehicle enthusiast who appreciates having the involved experience of having as much control over your driving experience as possible. If this is you, then it may be up your alley. If you do not care so much about that sort of thing, then honestly, you probably will not like it at all.

You'll find the small majority of folks that drive a manual diehard enthusiasts that wouldn't have it any other way and the ones that don't claim they would never in a million years step close to a handshaker.

You'll know which side of the fence you fall on pretty quick once you drive one.


08/98 CCSB l 7.3 l ZF6 l TW Tuned l 99.5 PCM l 6637 w/ K&N Intake Duct l 4" MBRB Straight Pipe w/ Axle Dump l 6" Suspension Lift l 37" Toyo MT's l 17" KMC Strike Rims l BORA Wheel Spacers l ARB Front Bumper l HNC Rear Bumper l Bedliner'd Rockers & Flares l Bushwacker Flares l Custom Cab Guard l '08 Tailgate l PIAA Fog Lights l Recon Tail Lights l B&W Hitch l Air Shocks l Pioneer Stereo
Austen is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 07-09-2014, 02:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Bigponcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
test drive, test drive, then test drive some more. I have a zf6 truck. For what i do, its pain in the ***. I wish I would have gotten an auto. I know once i start hualing around a race car i might like it better, but honestly, at this point im thinking about selling it off, or sucking it up and trying to swap an auto in.
Bigponcho is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 07-09-2014, 04:20 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!


 
351fifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canton and kennesaw
Posts: 23,174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 34
Thanked 205 Times in 193 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austen View Post
Have you driven a HD truck before with a manual? If not, you will want to make sure it's something that you will not mind. Test drive some of these manual trucks, if you can find some.

If the auto is not already been built, that is something to consider as it will most likely in the future need to be especially if you start adding power. Upgrading the trans in a diesel truck is just part of the name of the game. It is a several thousand dollar expense.

To put a stronger clutch in a manual is considerably less than rebuilding an auto.

Driving a manual, especially in a HD truck, takes the right person. It is not for everybody, that is for sure. The manual is for a true vehicle enthusiast who appreciates having the involved experience of having as much control over your driving experience as possible. If this is you, then it may be up your alley. If you do not care so much about that sort of thing, then honestly, you probably will not like it at all.

You'll find the small majority of folks that drive a manual diehard enthusiasts that wouldn't have it any other way and the ones that don't claim they would never in a million years step close to a handshaker.

You'll know which side of the fence you fall on pretty quick once you drive one.
I cannot totally agree here, my trucks are auto, my cars are stick, it's a slightly higher expense, but unless I'm loaded and headin for hills I have no issue being auto

-Kris-
2011 f150 ecoboost 4x4 323/452 on php dyno 11/16/13
1995 CCLB DRW 324K
2001 CCLB DRW 319K
Dp tuner infinity, exhaust, intake, chipped, tricked, and wrecked


Quote:
Originally Posted by marine5811
The stock downpipe in an OBS is flat because I'm a ginger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta 7.3
Finding a decent woman is like shopping for a used truck. You spend most of your time picking through the money pits, wrecks, and basket cases until you find one that you can tolerate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFLASH
Well at least you caught the loose bolts before they cause any damage. Nothing worse than a sloppy hole
351fifty is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome