AC Problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 11:23 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
AC Problems

Hi Guys,

So when I turn on my truck, I usually let it run for 5 min to let the cab cool down, and the motor warm up before I get my wife and son into the truck. I just noticed twice the last few days, that the AC only blows warm air unless I get into the truck and start driving it.

Is there an issue with my AC system, or do i need a tune that increases the idle? I tried revving the motor, and it does not do anything, if I put it in gear, and give it some power, cooling starts and works fine. If I park afterwards, and let the motor idle it still cools. It only happens when I start the truck, right off the bat it sometime wont cool till I drive. Any help would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2014, 11:45 PM

When was the last time you had it serviced (or did it yourself)?

I would not increase the idle to fix this issue - the A/C should be reasonably cold at idle (like low 30's at the vents, AC on max, full blower, with the vehicle under a shade and not heat soaked) - even at first start after a few seconds to get the system up to speed (so to speak).

Heat soaked you could expect it to take a longer time to get to that temp at the vents on max, but it should still get there in a few minutes at the most. Check temps at the vents and then if not at stated above, I would troubleshoot by doing the following:

1) Clean the A/C coils at the radiator - get all the crap out of there checking for clogged passages. Those will affect A/C in a big way. Let radiator dry before next step. (Wet radiator will increase cooling and you don't want that yet.)

2) Check for obvious leaks - easy to identify by a build-up of dirt/oil residue at the connections of the system. If present, have system drawn evacuated - replace o-rings as necessary, service properly.

3) Start vehicle and turn AC to Max - check temps - if not at low 30's in about 2 minutes - go to step 4 - else, system is fine. Watch compressor - is the clutch cycling on and off rapidly? If yes, try bypassing the LOP switch (I believe these vehicles have one, but I don't have my schematics here to verify) After bypass, compressor clutch should stay engaged. If it does, you are probably low on freon and the system cannot build pressure. The clutch should keep the system active for a long time on start up on a warm day without bypassing it.

4) Now, run hose over radiator - check temps as you do this. If they drop inside at the vents, you probably have either a clogged set of coils (which you shouldn't if you cleaned them properly) - or are low on freon (R134a).

5) If nothing else found, have levels checked - service as necessary.

You state it gets cool as you increase engine speed - that pretty much rules out the compressor being bad - so you are looking at clogged coils or low freon. My money is low freon.

Hopefully others will chime in to make additional suggestions and make corrections to what I suggest.

Good luck to you sir!
Old 07-08-2014, 10:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It's sounding like low refrigerant, not able to build enough pressure& heat soaked enhances the problem. Put gauges on it & see where the low side pressure is at. Or throw a can in & see what happens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.