What tranny fluid? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2009, 06:52 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
What tranny fluid?

I'm planning on changing my trans fluid in a few weeks and was wondering which kind to get. I know ford says that mercon V is ok to use in the 4R100, even though they used to say not to. I'd rather use what they originally called for. So my question is this, exactly what kind is ok? I checked Auto Zone and they have a Dex/Merc multi vehicle fluid, is that ok to use? Also, what about amsoil, good, bad? Will amsoil react bad with non synthetic trans fluid if i don't get all the old out?

I want to do a full system change, i want all new fluid. Is there any special instructions on how to do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2009, 07:22 PM
PMR = JUNK

Old 01-20-2009, 07:43 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cob32187 View Post
I'm planning on changing my trans fluid in a few weeks and was wondering which kind to get. I know ford says that mercon V is ok to use in the 4R100, even though they used to say not to. I'd rather use what they originally called for. So my question is this, exactly what kind is ok? I checked Auto Zone and they have a Dex/Merc multi vehicle fluid, is that ok to use? Also, what about amsoil, good, bad? Will amsoil react bad with non synthetic trans fluid if i don't get all the old out?

I want to do a full system change, i want all new fluid. Is there any special instructions on how to do that?
Well cob, I'm probably gonna catch hell from other members for this, but I've been using Mercon III. I was told it was OK to use. I use NAPA brand. It's pretty cheap & I've been using it since last spring without a lick of trouble. As far as AmsOil- it's pretty much the best money could buy. If you've got the dough, go for it! If you're doing the flush in your driveway, drain your trans. pan, & replace the filter. Remove the access plug on your bell housing. Try to see if you can see the TC's drain plug. If not, bump it with a remote starter or use a breaker bar & turn the crank until the plug is lined up with the hole. Drain the fluid out of the TC. Snug everything back up (tranny pan gasket reusable) & start filling the tranny. Once you start seeing ATF on the dipstick, cycle through all the gears. Shift into each gear for a few seconds & remember to also cycle the OD button. Check the ATF level. Keep doing this until it goes into whichever gear you shift into without a long delay & the ATF level on the dipstick is @ the cold range. You've gotta do this while the rig's running. Unless you already most of this....in which case I'll shut my piehole.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I run the Mercon V in mine.When I had the trans done ,he told me to use it.He hasnt sent me in the wrong direction yet,he has been building powerglides for our N20 motors for well over 7yrs and no complaints.Hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:52 PM
PMR = JUNK

Thanks for the info radar. I'll listen to more if you got it. What about the amsoil mixing with not non synthetic, can that cause problems?
Old 01-20-2009, 07:55 PM
PMR = JUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeasts10 View Post
I run the Mercon V in mine.When I had the trans done ,he told me to use it.He hasnt sent me in the wrong direction yet,he has been building powerglides for our N20 motors for well over 7yrs and no complaints.Hope this helps.
Ive heard of others runnin V with no problems too, but im still leary about it. Ford even used to say that it would ruin your tranny.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:58 PM
PMR = JUNK

Also what is the fluid capacity of the trans? How much will i need to buy for a full system change?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I could be wrong,but I think we put in 15 qts.Not sure ,might wanna check on that ,it was over a year ago.For the entire system,that is.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:40 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Thanks for the info radar. I'll listen to more if you got it. What about the amsoil mixing with not non synthetic, can that cause problems?
No problem! As far as mixing the AmsOil with the non-synthetic, I'm not too sure. You might want to contact AmsOil. I hear nothing but good things about Ams.
Quote:
Also what is the fluid capacity of the trans? How much will i need to buy for a full system change?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeasts10 View Post
I could be wrong,but I think we put in 15 qts.Not sure ,might wanna check on that ,it was over a year ago.For the entire system,that is.
15qts. sounds right, but I'd buy extra to be safe. After you cycle through the gears & get the system topped off, take it for a good ride(monitoring shift performance) & whether it's shifting good or bad, check the level when you come back from the ride. Make sure anytime you add ATF that the engine's warm, running, & you cycle through all the gears before checking the level. 1 more thing: when you take your trans pan down, take the magnet out & clean it off good. I've just used brake cleaner & a rag to do it.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:49 AM
The Screwy HEUI

& another important item you really need to keep your eye on: Make sure when you drop your tranny filter that the orange seal that pushes into the mounting hole from the filter doesn't stay inside the tranny. Long ago, I had a Mustang GT with an auto trans I had done a trans service on. When I pulled the filter out, the orange seal stayed in the trans. I didn't even look @ the filter when I threw it out. You can still put a new filter in there without any signs of the old seal still being in there(which is what I did on accident). I topped off the 'Stang's ATF & cycled through the gears. Even with the fluid @ level, eveytime I shifted into a gear it would take forever to engage....like 2mins! I ended up having to drop the pan/fluid again, pull the filter & old seal out & start all over(with the exception of the TC)when I realized the problem.

Last edited by RadarRider; 01-21-2009 at 05:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.