Someone School Me in the 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dbu8554 Send a message via Yahoo to dbu8554
Someone School Me in the 7.3

Alright I am not familiar with Diesels or the 7.3 I know how a diesel works, I am extremely experienced with gas engines esp fords, planning on a 7.3 swap into at least my 79 F-250 and maybe into something else but I dont know enough.

Is there a place to go and research the differences in powerstroke years 7.3 models of course.

Where can I learn about the computer control for these engines, dimensions of the engine with turbo's, transmission options, common problems that need to be fixed when buying a new engine all kinds of stuff I know nothing to feed me all the info you think I should be reading about thanks alot guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Serving Our Country!

first off welcome bud to the org and i aint sure about every little thing your asking but they have just about everything you want to know in the TECh section let me look and i will post for you

Last edited by 96whitehouse; 01-19-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No problem thanks for the help guess i missed the tech section will look there myself.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Welcome to the site. Ask any questions you need.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

common problems with the 7.3:

1. CPS (not a problem if you have the "new" version)
2. under valve cover wiring
3. # 22 fuse going out cuz of fuel heater (just don't have it plugged in)
4. IDM failure (my understanding no problems with "new" version)

things to keep in mind for a long lasting 7.3:
1. do your maintenance, especially engine oil cuz it uses that oil under high pressure to operate the injectors.
2. beat the snot out of it, this engine WANTS to be abused
Old 01-19-2009, 07:25 PM
scuffs *****

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
The 7.3's really only biggest change was a turbo was added to it in like 1993. Its a 444CI long block, its all mechanically driven, computer's are not much on detail for the 7.3. Strongest Power stroke ever built really. They use AA injectors (single shot) so they are loud, not kitty, no dpf, very little emission control, they didnt have an intercooler until 1999. In 99, the turbine housing was changed from 1.15AR to .84 AR with the intercooler. Also in 99 the AA injectors where switched to AB (split-shots) to help reduced emissions, and to run quieter. The 15 degree HPOP was changed to 17 degrees with the new injectors. It was made until 2004 then replaced by the 6.slow.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

1. CPS? Crank or Cam Sensor?
2.whats wrong with under valve cover wiring?
3.dont live in a cold area so no worries.
4.whats an IDM?

also whats HPOP?

These things look big in the trucks but I cannot find accurate dimentions for the engines anywhere on the net, if you guys are familar how do they compare to a 4.6 DOHC, or 460 or a Boss 429, are they wide? Or Tall(they look tall) how much stuff can be moved mainly accessories and such as I am putting on in my car most likley.

I am not a tree hugger but if I can run the newer version of the 7.3 that is cleaner that would be nice no sense in making a mess of things if I don't need to right?

Also I know they have turbo's is dual turbo ever come on the 7.3 is one enough, does it ever need to be upgraded, I plan on just getting a 7.3 out of a totaled vehicle my buddy had one that went 500k before he sold it, just wondering if I bump up the power a bit how many miles am I going to sacrifice?

Also anything I should look for when looking for one of these?

What kinds of automatics did they get with overdrive I am guessing just 4 speed automatics and how big are they lets say compared to a c6 or a FMX or a AODE for you newer model guys.

Thanks alot keep the advice coming.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97StrokerG View Post
The 7.3's really only biggest change was a turbo was added to it in like 1993. Its a 444CI long block, its all mechanically driven, computer's are not much on detail for the 7.3. Strongest Power stroke ever built really. They use AA injectors (single shot) so they are loud, not kitty, no dpf, very little emission control, they didnt have an intercooler until 1999. In 99, the turbine housing was changed from 1.15AR to .84 AR with the intercooler. Also in 99 the AA injectors where switched to AB (split-shots) to help reduced emissions, and to run quieter. The 15 degree HPOP was changed to 17 degrees with the new injectors. It was made until 2004 then replaced by the 6.slow.
This info is not quite accurate. There were many changes other than the turbo from 93 idi to the 94.5 powerstroke. The entire fuel system for one. Also in 99 they switched from a mechanical fuel pump to an electric system and the injectors and turbo also changed
Old 01-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbu8554 View Post
1. CPS? Crank or Cam Sensor?
2.whats wrong with under valve cover wiring?
3.dont live in a cold area so no worries.
4.whats an IDM?

also whats HPOP?

These things look big in the trucks but I cannot find accurate dimentions for the engines anywhere on the net, if you guys are familar how do they compare to a 4.6 DOHC, or 460 or a Boss 429, are they wide? Or Tall(they look tall) how much stuff can be moved mainly accessories and such as I am putting on in my car most likley.

I am not a tree hugger but if I can run the newer version of the 7.3 that is cleaner that would be nice no sense in making a mess of things if I don't need to right?

Also I know they have turbo's is dual turbo ever come on the 7.3 is one enough, does it ever need to be upgraded, I plan on just getting a 7.3 out of a totaled vehicle my buddy had one that went 500k before he sold it, just wondering if I bump up the power a bit how many miles am I going to sacrifice?

Also anything I should look for when looking for one of these?

What kinds of automatics did they get with overdrive I am guessing just 4 speed automatics and how big are they lets say compared to a c6 or a FMX or a AODE for you newer model guys.

Thanks alot keep the advice coming.
-first cps crank position sensor
-second nothing if its working right (thats all i can say about that sorry)
-third the IDM stands for Injector Driver Module. It acts sort of like an amplifier for a stereo. You couldn't hook up 18" house speakers to a walkman right? The IDM and injectors work similar, injectors require a lot voltage to start up quickly enough and 12V from the battery doesn't cut it.
-fourth hpop high pressure oil pump

and aint to good with the ford motor but from my understanding id is about or is the same block as the 460 not 100% on that but hopefully someone will change it if its wrong (which they will cause this place only wants the right answer out there)

and as far as turbos you will need to ungrade the turbo if you plan on moding the engine and yeah you can put dual on a 7.3 and as far as mile it depends on how the person before oyu took care of the motor and how you treat the motor.

and as for the trans you will want to upgrage it if you ar going to dump a lot of power into it but not 100% on the newer powerstrokes but someone will

hope this helps a little

Last edited by 96whitehouse; 01-19-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ungrade I am guessing you meant upgrade?

I dont plan on alot of power, these things made what 300+ HP and something like 500+ TQ right? Thats plenty plus the fact that my car is alot lighter then a truck at least it is until I put a 7.3 in there, 460 size sounds nice good to know its not too big.

As far as mods, a big *** tranny cooler, maybe a bigger intercooler and a good tune for my vehicle size/gearing I think should be all I need and thats it, no smog here, but I dont want to go fast, I want it to get good MPG and last forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.