Looking at buying a 7.3. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 03:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking at buying a 7.3.

Looking at buying a 7.3 powerstroke..... this is my first diesel so i want to know what to look for before i buy one..... and my dad thinks all diesels are junk and i want to prove him wrong so i dont want to get a bad one because ill never hear the end of it...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Behavior Modificationist

Thinks all diesels are junk? I just had a good laugh at that. Read up on this and good luck finding your truck: This is a high powered website created just for Ford Diesel and Powerstroke enthusiasts. Older Ford 6.9L and 7.3L International or IDI owners are also welcome - Search Results for Buying 7.3 Diesel What to look for
Old 07-04-2014, 03:39 PM

While some people hate Bill from Powerstrokehelp, he does have a decent series on buying a used 7.3.

Bottom line is get a good feel for how the truck was treated and have it inspected by a reputable mechanic. Remember you are still buying an 11+ year old truck so expect to perform regular maintenance and be replacing wear parts.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:50 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
My dad thought the same

Till I pulled a trailer of his and was still picking up more speed then his V10 ex unloaded

Now he has a 7.3 and a 6.4
Old 07-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ha ha my dad has a v10 it runs good but the other day i saw one like it pulling a small trailer up a hill by my house and it barley made it up the hill. Then i said to my mom "and dad wonders why i want a diesel!" Ha ha and thanks for the warm welcome guys i apreticeate it.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:16 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
My dad's v10 was very well taken care off but every time he hooked a heavy load to it he would catch the Trans on fire Kause it would spit Trans fluid at the exhaust, never leaked anything other then that and burned oil, one day it just locked up been setting for about 5 years now
Old 07-05-2014, 05:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Look at everything you can, by how it start's, if it blows and smoke,etc....

Flip the oil cap and see if it blows it off, check the oil, the transmission fluid, and crawl underneath and see what has been dripping or leaking.

I just purchased a 2001 that the guy did a good job at keeping it looking new, but he didn't know how too take care of the truck like I do, the transmission fluid was not that good looking so I did a complete flush, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed as too how long it will hold up. I changed the oil and filter, fuel filter which the fuel bowl was nasty put my Airaid filter on it, changed the coolant, rear gear oil, and have been running Diesel Kleen with 2 stroke oil too help nurse the injectors.

Even thou I thought I had done a good job of looking it over when buying you really aren't going too be able to see just how good everything is until you dig into the truck.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thats something new i havent heard...... two stroke oil... how does it help?? Its agood idea cause the aditves get pretty expensive and 2 stroke oil is not too expensive....

Old 07-05-2014, 09:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It was my dad who turned me onto diesels. When I was a kid (About 10 years old), my dad had a 96 or 97 flatbed 7.3. It may have not had THAT much power (Not near as much as mine does now.) But at such an impressionable age, that thing was the strongest truck I've ever seen, and I wanted it. Unfortunately, he sold it right before I turned 15, but I wanted one for myself ever since.

As far as looking for a truck, a lot of it is common sense. Something I would highly recommend, though... Take someone else with you, they don't need to know a whole lot, but for me, when I'm looking at a vehicle I'm excited about, I tend to overlook very obvious things that I shouldn't, not because I DON'T notice them, but because I want the vehicle enough that I just don't care as much as I should.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:15 AM

Good advice here^
A second person is always a good idea. They are not emotionally invested in the purchase and can look at the truck objectively. They can also distract the salesperson to give you some alone time with the truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.