So where is everyone putting there trans temp sensor, and what are you geting for tem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 11:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So where is everyone putting there trans temp sensor, and what are you geting...

I've seen some people put the temp sensor for there gauge in the pan, test port, and cooler line. Everyone claims there location to be the best. Also I've notice the "average temp" is different for each location, same with the time it take for the temps to rise.

Pan seems to get the lowest temps and slowest reactions in temp temps. I've seen around 130* average, and you can go up a huge hill with out only 10* change in temps and sitting in traffic is hardly noticeable.

The test port (most common and easiest install) is about 20*warmer on average from what I've seen, and temps react faster, like you can see it 30* jump on a large hill and it will slowly climb from sitting in traffic.

Now the cooler line looks like shows the highest average at about 170* after everything's all warmed up on a nice hot day. And u can see temps start to jump as soon as u put it in gear and watch them drop the instant it gose into lock up vice versa.

Now most places I read, if the fluid gets over 240 you gona kill you trans asap. Now seeing these temp differences shows a big point! One running there temp sensor in the oil pan seeing 200* could mean 250*+ on the cooler line. Makes me think where and the recommendations we all read about based off of.

Also I think we should all put our average temps up and sensor location high temp seen and cooler set up to help prove what I'm saying determine the true best set up (location and coolers) for our trucks.

So here we go.

Average 170 on hot days (90*)
Sensor location on the cooler line
Highest I've seen is 230 going up a long slow (in 2nd the whole climb) STEEP dirt road empty. I got a derale aux cooler fan is set to turn on at 185* and a small 12" x12" Hayden cooler both are rated around 30k gcvw I tore the leaking stock cooler out, bts 4r100, synthetic fluid. pic is of the derale aux cooler, I'm waiting on a tru cool cooler to replace the tiny hyden cooler it's besides the derale but is much thiner so it can't been seen to well So where is everyone putting there trans temp sensor, and what are you geting for tem-imageuploadedbyautoguide1404368755.505188.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Last edited by 700xxmaniac; 07-02-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 11:45 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Mine is usually around 200 after riding around and getting engine to temp

Pulled from the PCM via DP tuner infinity
Old 07-03-2014, 05:51 AM

Anyone have any idea where the PCM gets it's temp from?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-03-2014, 06:41 AM

PCM reads off the solenoid pack in the valve body. According to the Ford motor transmission guru ( Mark Kovalsky - find him on the nation ) there is no one best place to read it as all areas are going to be different based off the spot your measuring and depending where in line it's being read.
Curious , Why not just go with a 6.0 cooler like your tranny builder suggest, recommends , pushes at build time ?
Mine runs 140-150 normally. Was seeing 190-200 when tranny was new and it was " breaking in " and got concerned , Brian shrugged it off and said roll with it. I have to hook up AE to monitor as I don't do anything really requiring or necessitating a tranny gauge so my temps are PCM based and on the occasion I drag the laptop out to have a looksy while driving.

Last edited by scagle1; 07-03-2014 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagle1 View Post
Why not just go with a 6.0 cooler like your tranny builder suggest, recommends , pushes at build time ?

thats what I run and only have seen 185 once when pulling my skid up a mountain pass.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:04 AM
Behavior Modificationist

I have my gauge reading from the test port. I generally see 175-185 after the truck is up to operating temps (I run a Tru-Cool remote external bypass which slowly opens up around 180). I use the Torque app which mirrors what the PCM sees to monitor cooler efficiency. When the test port reads 175-185, the PCM is reading around 195-203.

I have yet to see it run over 203 this summer. This is unloaded, stop/go traffic in Fredericksburg, VA at it's worst with around 90 degrees ambient temperature and me romping on it to get through town.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:52 AM

I'm monitoring my temps through torque app and it stays under/around 180 with enough airflow and my tru cool cooler. Which I just installed so if there is a break in period as said above that would be great. Will always take cooler. I towed my 8000 pound setup down a 23 mile dirt road to camp and there are slow steep switchbacks, going 10-15 I heated all the way up to 230. I pulled over and let it cool down. Was a bit frustrated as this was the first trip with new cooler. I realized without airflow no cooler will keep you cool. This is not my normal camping spot so not overly concerned.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:53 AM

I run mine from the test port and absolutely beating on my truck it doesn't go over 160
Old 07-03-2014, 08:56 AM

I'm pulling from the PCM via Scangauge II and Test Port.
the PCM varies from 5-15 degs over the gauge in the test port.
I run normally 50-65 over the temp on the lie-o-meter (overhead computer) when empty.
I hooked up my Travel Trailer the other day (15200 GCW) and the highest I hit was 75deg over according to the test port gauge (170deg trans temp with max temp of 95deg over a 30+mile/45min drive).

My truck has 209000miles with a Reman Ford HD4R100 that has about 24000 miles and is now with a 26row 6.0 cooler (upgraded from the 13row cooler Ford put in with the HD4R100).
Old 07-03-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heisman01 View Post
I run mine from the test port and absolutely beating on my truck it doesn't go over 160
Is that empty and what is the outside air temp?
since these transmission are not thermostatically controlled, ambient air temps greatly impact them. for instance, Min will run 110-130 in the winter and 150-160 in the summer.. temps will vary 70-80 deg or more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.