Better MPG w/o additive? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 10:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Better MPG w/o additive?

I have used a few diesel additives to try and improve MPG on my truck (01 crew cab, 35" tires, 4" lift) and the best I could ever get was 14.7mpg mixed with using an additive and driving about 67-69mph with about 30-70 city to highway use. Well, I got sick of going slow and bumped up to 75-77mph and my last fill up, I got 15.7 with no additive (and before that 15.5, no additive). Any idea how this can happen?

I also noticed my truck running better after pulling a 6'x12' enclosed trailer 550 miles. Seems my MPG has went up too after that. Is there any way that the extra load on the engine somehow cleaned it up and is making it more efficient?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 12:48 PM

What additives have you tried???
Old 07-02-2014, 03:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It doesn't surprise me that you have experienced this after significantly working the truck. I think it is extremely important to work these truck the way they wrre ment to be worked on a regular basis. This increases cylinder temps to the point things start to to get clean (Injectors, ebps, etc.). Chronicly low cylinder temps and vehicle not tuned right (think lots of short trips, leaky uppipes and plugged/broken sensors) lead to incomplete combustion causing excessive soot/carbon buildup.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-02-2014, 09:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Forgot to say I have an DP-Tuner F5 and a cold air intake as well.

I have used Diesel Kleen as well as the Howes Meaner Power Cleaner. Very interesting though.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I use a mixture of diesel kleen and TC-W3 2 stroke stuff and best I got on a full tank with about 70 city was 14.3 on a 26 gallon tank and I pull a 6x10 landscape trailer once a week thats about the extent of my pulling and by your Sig it looks like we have similar trucks..

I am about due for an oil change , I was going to do it myself but may bring it to the diesel shop locally and have them do it and check some other stuff...

Would love to be in the 15.5 range, my buddies cummins just got his transmission plates worked on cause there starting to go and he avg 16.8 city and after the plates moved closer together got 17.8...I realize its a inline 6 but man just want to hit the 15s so damn bad hahaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.