Few mod ideas - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Few mod ideas

Now I know these will probably sound stupid, but I'm determined to do them, so don't try and stop me, lol. Maybe on the intake one you can, but I still want to do them. I probably won't gain much in the process, but let me know what you think. I'll show the pictures first.

* These pics aren't of my engine, but they're just like it. *

In the first pic to the left you can see I want to do an intake mod. I want to know if there is a pipe that is Y shaped so that I could hook up two air filters to it. I would make another box for it right behind the other. There is enough room there for one. I would make an opening into the current filter box so cold air can get to it. I think it would give me more of that 'woosh' sound after you let off the gas pedal. Maybe I'd get some more whistle, I don't know.

This isn't apart of that air intake mod I said, but would getting it covered help it stay cleaner or would that actually hurt i more than staying open on top how it is now?

The second is apart of the ZooDad Air Intake mod. I already have done it, but I want air to go straight into the hole to get into the air intake. How it currently is there is a gap there that air sorta deflects away. I want to get a small sheet of stainless steel or something I can paint either blue or black (so it isn't that noticable) and make it extend almost out to the radiator. I can either screw it in front the front left side or use some pop ribbets to keep it in place there. From the inside it'll be a pain in the *** to screw it in somehow, but I know I'll find a way. This way all and any air going to it doesn't have an escape and goes straight to the Air Intake. I used M$ paint to show the area I'm talking about that is black.

I couldn't find a better pic for the engine, so that isn'tthe kind of filter I have or anything. I would use some cheapo filters to test this out. If it sucks, then I'll just go buy an AFE Stage 2.

I'm pretty bored and need something to do to my truck, lol.

What do you guys think? I don't care, tell me I'm stupid, dumb, or w/e. Just need honest replies to help me out. Anyone know where I can buy a 4 1/2" Y pipe for the intake? Online or in person? Any ideas that would help me out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2009, 07:25 PM

This is pretty much what I want to do.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

I think you are looking to do things that won't make a difference. A Y pipe and two intakes could cause some unwanted turbulance when they join, a good flowing single filter will flow more than enough air, so I see no reason to go crazy here. As for a additional snorkel type piece for the Zoodad, it may help slightly, but how much air actually get's deflected from entering the snorkel? As I said I don't see it making any difference, but go for it and get back to us.

NCH
Old 01-19-2009, 09:23 AM

Just do the DIY intake mod, with the 6637 filter and be done with it... simple and cheap and quick, I have no 'shell' around mine, an it's not too dirty. just my opinion...

Eather way, good luck...
Old 01-19-2009, 08:12 PM

Alright, I'm going to do the DIY intake mod. Cost me about $40 for the filter and have it shipped off that FleetFilter (something like that).

Now I seen a sleeve for it, but can't find it anymore. Anyone mind helping with a link to that? Also, would it be a bad idea to enclose it?
Old 01-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

You can use almost anything for the sleeve,as long as it is sturdy.I have sched.40 4" with reducer on mine and I used a cone style filter.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:25 AM

4" exhaust pipe works well for the adaptor from the 6637 filter to the stock air tube... I got some from the local exhaust shop, they might have a scrap peice laying around for a buck or 3... you'll also need a large enough hose clamp...

Parts needed:
Filter
3" long pc of 4" pipe
hose clamp/"breeze band" to fit the filter neck.

I didn't enclose mine, the filter fit nice and snug between the back of the left battery, the hood, and the fender... hood 'clamps' it down, leaves a slight crease in the top of mine... I changed mine a few months ago, didn't see any signs of splash from water/mud on it, not really all that dirty, just wanted to replace it, it had been about a year since I put it in.

Install is really easy on the late '99's and newer... I've looked at doing this to my friends early '99, and the tubeing will be a little more diffucult... needs a bend, it looks like.

Good luck with yours...
Old 01-20-2009, 05:29 PM

Thanks. The shop at work usually has aluminum pipes laying around. I'll have to check if any are 4" that I can take, lol. Can I get a hose clamp at Napa, Discount Auto Parts, Advanced Auto Parts, Lowes, Home Depot, etc?
Old 01-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to zippy557
i found napa to be a good place for hose clamps and whatnot
Old 01-20-2009, 05:45 PM

I have an early 99. I used a piece of 4" rubber pipe repair 90 degree elbow that I cut in half, ending up with two 45 degree adapters. Got it from Menards. Like Lowes or Home Depot if you are not from the Midwest. About $15. I have a pic in my gallery hall. The last pic of the three.

Last edited by jbawilliams; 01-20-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.