I 'Heart' Heavy - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 09:42 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up I 'Heart' Heavy

I can't express how much I love how tough & durable SuperDuties are! Being a cityboy, I haven't had the pleasure & most of the experience getting to drive some serious off-road.....until yesterday. I went to a friend's house, which was only about 33miles away, but instead of going the 'fastest' route, I had set my GPS to a more 'scenic' approach. The GPS had taken my wife & I around some weird route it had prepared, but it was really nice getting to see parts of Rhode Island I don't get to see too often. We were just chatting together like it was a normal ride. Getting closer to the end of the trip though, the roads I noticed were mostly snow & ice & when I took a closer look, these roads I found were also unpaved. Heavy handled everything no problem in 2WD & had no difficulty getting around, even with a bald right rear Toyo Open Country A/T. Finally, the road signs completely stopped & the road turned into an extremely rocky, snowy, icy obsticle course. According to the GPS, this road was open & wanted me to keep going. Still in 2WD, I tried it! I had to go slow due to the big boulders that popped up here & there through the snow. It looked like you could barely fit an ATV through this road. We came to a frozen creek that ran right across the road...er....path & stopped. I got out & surveyed the creek, trying to figure out how deep it was. Me being the cityboy I am, I went against my countrygirl wife's better judgement of checking how deep it was. I figured 4x4 would definitely make this. I locked the hubs & put it into 4x4. As soon as the front tires were completely on the ice, it broke & Heavy started sinking. I still had a little traction, so I drove forward as far as she'd go & got stuck. We had both the windows open to check for things in front & behind us(because we couldn't get out without taking a swim!) & although we thought we were completely screwed @ the time, Heavy sounded great giving it some throttle to get out. I started backing out of the creek still thinking I wasn't going to make it. I could hear horrible banging noises coming from underneath the truck that made my blood curdle thinking I was seeing dollar signs fly out from the undercarriage. After some trying SHE GOT OUT!!!! I backed the truck up to a spot I could actually turn around because the path was too narrow to do it just anywhere. We had to get past a few small rock ledges in reverse before I found a place to turn around. When I did find a spot, I started pulling forward & backing & we got stuck. My wife(in heels) got out & helped push the truck while I drove. After a some trying there too, SHE GOT OUT!!! The wife jumped back in the seat & we left it in 4x4(because now we were travelling uphill) & Heavy clawed her way back to the beginning of the path. I noticed when I was turning around, I couldn't get the wheel to turn completely to the right, maybe about 1/2 furthering my belief I destroyed something critical. When we got to the top, I gave a good look @ the undercarriage & to my amazement, the only thing I broke was this:

My Rancho steering stabilizer!!! That's it!!! After all of those gut-wrenching sounds & all the tossing & turning, the only thing I broke was the stabilizer! & the oil pan, trans pan, all steering components, EVERYTHING.....was OK! I love you, Heavy!!! I am so happy I got into PSDs when I did! I wouldn't give my truck up for anything! I got to my friend's house, pulled the stabilizer out, regained my right turn, & Heavy's still running great with no other problems!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Serving Our Country!

hey bud thats good that you aint mess a lot up but on thing i would do is trash you GPS and go get a road atlas
Old 01-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

sounds like a good time to me ........but next time if you are in a place like that with no one else around and your having a hard time with traction ......go ahead and let some tire pressure out ...drop down to 20 or even 15 psi and you will crawl out of there.....because the last thing you want is to be stuck somewhere all alone ......in glamis and the mud i'll go down to 12 psi in my truck .....
Old 01-18-2009, 10:55 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96whitehouse View Post
hey bud thats good that you aint mess a lot up but on thing i would do is trash you GPS and go get a road atlas
10-4 on trashing the GPS! I had it on 'shortest route', & I have no idea what made it short! I used to use my road atlas until I got this GPS....What a mistake! Back to the atlas!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmugg View Post
sounds like a good time to me ........but next time if you are in a place like that with no one else around and your having a hard time with traction ......go ahead and let some tire pressure out ...drop down to 20 or even 15 psi and you will crawl out of there.....because the last thing you want is to be stuck somewhere all alone ......in glamis and the mud i'll go down to 12 psi in my truck .....
Thanks for the tip! I had heard about letting some air out of the tires to gain traction, but I had no idea how much or why. Next time, I'll definitley give that a try, thanks fordmugg!

Last edited by RadarRider; 01-18-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:03 AM
The Screwy HEUI

P.s.- the wetness you see around the damper in the pics are the stabilizer oil. It just started seeping out of it this morning!
Old 01-18-2009, 11:08 AM
Serving Our Country!

did you pop a hole in it or did you just bust the top seals off
Old 01-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Midwestern4x4 Send a message via Yahoo to Midwestern4x4
Dog gawn it Radar... You write a good story...
Old 01-18-2009, 12:10 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
She got out and pushed in heels....

You've got to be kidding me...
Old 01-18-2009, 12:44 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96whitehouse View Post
did you pop a hole in it or did you just bust the top seals off
Both. It got crushed to a point where it got egg-shaped, popped a slit on the side & when you pull the red boot off, you can see pieces of the seal. I've got another Rancho Stblzr on the way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestern4x4 View Post
Dog gawn it Radar... You write a good story...
Thanks, man! I don't mean to write forever, but sometimes it just adds effect. Glad you enjoyed it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
She got out and pushed in heels....

You've got to be kidding me...
I know it sounds bad, Southpaw, but she likes that kind of stuff. She was pissed I had gone down the trail, but when it came to getting stuck, she had gotten into it like an adreneline rush. If I handcuffed her to the inside of the truck, she would've found a way to get out & spot me. She's a great woman & is into diesel trucks & everything that implies just as much as I am. She also drives the Tank when the 'Stang is stuck in the driveway & knows all the off-road paths that she'll use to get to work. This is the reason why I never got serious with a girl from my own state. I had to get a countrygirl from IL.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
No worries man, I wasn't judging you. I was just like shaking my head saying holy crap what a story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.