New 7.3 owner, towing questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2014, 10:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New 7.3 owner, towing questions

I just bought an 02 350 with the 7.3 to tow my 27' toy hauler. Truck has 130k miles, 6" lift with 35" tires. Other than an AFE CAI the engine is stock. My last truck was a 2011 f150 ecoboost that pulled my 7500lb trailer like nothing. Today I pulled the trailer home from storage with the 7.3 and I think something isn't right.

The diesel is very loud when towing compared to empty. Is that normal? By loud I mean it sounds like electric fans on high when an engine starts getting hot. Although the engine and tranny temp gauges didn't move at all as I was towing.

I have to rev up to 2500rpm to get the truck moving any faster than granny speed when taking off from a stop. Is that normal?

Sometimes during startup it idles normal then I hear what sounds like an exhaust leak within a minute or two. If I blip the throttle it goes away. Then while driving it comes back. It sounds like it's coming from near the turbo.

I bought a diesel over the v10 for its towing capabilities but I'm disappointed with the performance of this 7.3 so far. My old f150 could run circles around this f350 which leads me to believe something is not right.

I have no aftermarket gauges yet. I plan to buy the Edge insight this week. Does that display boost pressure out of the box? Or does it require a sensor and addition wiring?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2014, 05:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Exhaust leaks on these trucks will totally kill boost production and thus power. Also, need to check out whether or not the ebpv (exhaust back pressure valve) is sticking. If you get the edge insight you should be able to read boost through the map sensor without the add on sensor. This would be instrumental in figuring out your power issue as you can also read exhaust back pressure too. Also, look around the exhaust manifolds and up pipes (fire wall) for soot as this would definitely indicate a leak. Google boost leak detector and build one so you can check the induction system for leaks. Btw, you can also get an obdII blue tooth reader and torque app if you have an android device for about 30 bucks total and it will allow you to monitor boost, exhaust back pressure and all of the major injection parameters. Definitely well worth the money. Good luck!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-30-2014, 05:31 AM
Behavior Modificationist

Post some photos of the truck and any other stats in your signature. Everything sounds normal to me! A stock-tuned, lifted 7.3 with 35s AND towing heavy will take some RPMs to get off the line. Coming from an EcoBoost, the 7.3 will feel like a slug-powered brick.

That exhaust leak sound youre hearing is your EBPV. This valve is your friend in the winter but if it malfunctions, can be a backstabber. Check the EBPV at the turbo for any oil leaks and proper movement. Yours shouldnt be activated during these summer months.

This site is amazing in finding archived info and receiving new input with any post you submit. Enjoy your 7.3 and have fun with this site
Old 06-30-2014, 05:49 AM

And once you have done all that, tuning it will make a world of difference too. I read all the rave reviews as such, but can not believe just how much better/stronger the truck runs and with the auto tranny, the shifts are also much improved.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja_cain View Post
Exhaust leaks on these trucks will totally kill boost production and thus power. Also, need to check out whether or not the ebpv (exhaust back pressure valve) is sticking.
X2. Exhaust leaks will cause what you are describing. For example, when I was installing my EGT probe in my driver side exhaust manifold I drilled the hole, then I had to drive the truck to the store for a part. The probe was not installed yet and the hole was open creating a big exhaust leak...my truck was a complete slug during that short drive. I felt like I was towing a building even though I was empty.

When you have to increase RPMs to get off the line when towing does it eventually 'hit' and take off? That would be when you build enough boost and there is a noticeable power increase. If your truck isn't hitting, I'd say exhaust leak somewhere.

Last edited by E-Man; 06-30-2014 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:41 AM

The post above have great tip's, but a stock 7.3L is kinda a dog on feeling like it's a hot rod it will full like a freight train, but it's not going too knock it out of the park off the line.

I've just picked up a 2001 7.3L CCRSW 4X4 that has been kept in good shape as far as the body, but the engine with 225K has needed some TLC, I've changed all the fluids and filter's, and have been giving it a fuel mixture of Diesel Kleen and TC-W3 2 stroke oil too help nurse the injector's.

If you are towing I recommend replacing the stock transmission cooler with the 6.0L or the Dorman 918-216 model, also throw some gauges on her, Diesel Manor has some good pricing on gauge kit's.

One of the best investment's is a PHP Hydra Talk about waking up a truck
Old 06-30-2014, 09:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the tips. First thing today after work I'll unplug the backpressure valve and see if that helps. If I leave it unplugged is there any reason to clean the sensor tube?

I've read the 7.3 was a slouch but I wasn't expecting this. My wifes Tahoe hybrid can pull just as hard haha. I gotta get it fixed for vacation this weekend. I'll be pulling the trailer up to 6500ft.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthWest350 View Post
Thanks for all the tips. First thing today after work I'll unplug the backpressure valve and see if that helps. If I leave it unplugged is there any reason to clean the sensor tube?

I've read the 7.3 was a slouch but I wasn't expecting this. My wifes Tahoe hybrid can pull just as hard haha. I gotta get it fixed for vacation this weekend. I'll be pulling the trailer up to 6500ft.
Reliability is the strength of the 7.3; they definitely don't compare to the new diesels with regards to power. But if you're saying your gas powered Tahoe tows comparably, I'd say there has to be something robbing your truck of power. My wife's 2001 Excursion 7.3 is bone stock and I just pulled a 24x8.5 enclosed car hauler with an El Camino inside (roughly 7500-8000 pounds total) 700 miles round trip and it pulled well. Don't get me wrong I felt it back there, but I never felt like I was underpowered or couldn't pass a slower vehicle.

Last edited by E-Man; 06-30-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:19 PM

I had a 2007 Yukon denali (6.2L) and my 7.3 pulls 10x better. There is something wrong with your truck!
Old 06-30-2014, 02:00 PM

One thing I forgot, even thou the truck has only 130K also look into having the fuel pick up and the 2 filter's inside the tank service, some guys "hutch mod" their tanks, I just had my diesel guy clean mine, and it made a difference for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.