Help!! 1999 7.3 F-350 weird loss of power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2014, 09:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help!! 1999 7.3 F-350 weird loss of power

Hey guys i'm new to this forum and to diesels. I just got my first 7.3 about a month ago and I fell in love. But... about a week ago there was just a sudden loss of power. I got home and shut it off for a while started it up and drove it to my mom and dads with no problem. I went to leave and started up the hill and there was no power to climb it. I even put it in low gear. After it stalled 3 times I finally got it up the hill but it stalled 2 more times. I only live about a mile from my parents. After I replaced the UVCH and the glow plugs and GPR changed all the filters and oil it finally goes but still loses power out of no where. I can turn it off and start it back up and its fine for a little while. When it loses the power though it feels like its not getting fuel even though it has 60psi. I looked at the injectors and sleeves and they looked good. The SES light isnt on. And the tach moves when I start it. Its an easy crank too.it has a little white smoke when I first start it but I found out thats normal. When it loses power though it has alot more white smoke and the exhaust sounds weird and the turbo doesnt spool out but it will get to 2,000 rpm's and no more when I hold the pedal to the floor. I checked the HPOP reservoir and its where it's what I would call full (about a half inch from the top from what I could see.) I greatly appreciate any help I can get. Sorry if theres any more threads that are about this. Lol ive been looking for a week and havent found anything like what i'm having trouble with
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 09:44 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Do you know your fuel pressure, idm good, how's the idle sound? Choppy like half an engine? Ipr DC? Good luck I hope more knowledgable people can help too

Welcome to the org btw
The Following User Says Thank You to 351fifty For This Useful Post:
david j (06-29-2014)
Old 06-28-2014, 11:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Id check for codes first. The cheapo scanners don't work on our trucks. You have to get a scan gauge or the torque app and blue tooth adaptor or take it to a shop and have the codes pulled. Is the nut on your ipr tight? Unplug your icp and look for oil in the connector. So you have a gauge on your fuel? Where us it? When was your last fuel filter?
The Following User Says Thank You to sbluke55 For This Useful Post:
david j (06-29-2014)
Old 06-28-2014, 11:20 PM

Help!! 1999 7.3 F-350 weird loss of power

There is also auto enginuity for your lap top.
david j (06-29-2014)
Old 06-29-2014, 09:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I dont have the gauge for the fuel. I have a family member that's a state mechanic and he pulled the psi for me and it was at 60 for the fuel pressure. I checked the nut on the ipr and for oil on the the icp.I live in bowling green ky so I went ahead and unplugged the fuel bowl heater too just in case it decided to short out on me later and it hardly ever gets down to 15 degrees so i should be good. Where can I get a scanner or the bluetooth scanner at and how much? That and I know on some older vehicles you can turn the key on and off so many times and something will flash at you so many times for codes. Do our trucks do that? And I changed the fuel filter at the same time I did the oil. It only has about 5 miles from test drives. I know that this is a stretch but would a bad turbo assembly (bearing and wheel ) cause this? Again thanks for the help.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:40 AM

When he checked the fuel pressure was it just at idle? Or was it under load when it starts to cut out? Scan gauge can be found at almost every part store for $150, blue tooth adaptor needs ordered on line for $20 plus the $5 torque app for android. IPhone needs and $100 (I think) adaptor and a $5 dashboss app. Auto enginuity is $360 from riff raff. Dash boss and ae can do a buzz test and contribution test. Bad turbo could be it but you should of heard it going out. Quick test for the turbo is pull the intake off and grab the compressor wheel and pull and push it wiggle it. If it moves any at all its bad besides spinning.
david j (06-29-2014)
Old 06-29-2014, 10:02 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Also need to look at your ICP under load.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
The Following User Says Thank You to HVAC SuperTech For This Useful Post:
david j (06-29-2014)
Old 06-29-2014, 07:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Alright. I'm gonna stop by autozone tomorrow and pick up the tester. And he had me rev it to 2500 rpms for 30 sec to make sure it was a constant pressure. I had a neighbor come down and offer help today. He said he had thought he had seen blue smoke and thought it sounded like a head gasket. Any ideas on that? I did make an idiot mistake and put straight grade 30w oil in it when I first got it and I thought I had killed the motor. Lol. But it hasnt used any oil or coolant that I can notice. Could a cracked head gasket give these symptoms?
Old 06-29-2014, 08:38 PM

I don't have time to read this right now, but I'm commenting so I remember to read it later and offer any help I can if you still need it.
Good luck until then
Old 06-29-2014, 08:51 PM

30w is ok as long as it's not cold out. I wouldn't recommend it all the time but once you should have no problems. Head gasket, probably not. Blue smoke is oil. When started pop off the oil cap and flip it over and set it back on the oil fill tube. If it rattles of your good if it blows off it's bad. It means you have blow by or a bad cylinder which means new motor. When you get your scan gauge you can set it up to read icp(high oil pressure) and ipr (high pressure oil regulator). Icp should be 800ish at idle and driving around should be 1500 to 3k and around 3k under wot. I have hpop problems and can only hold 2200 at wot. Ipr should be 10%ish at idle and driving around is about 25%-50% depending on throttle position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.