What trans fluid and how much - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 01-15-2009, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What trans fluid and how much

Im going to do a filter change on my 00 2wd.. What brand fluid and how much do I need for a filter swap..
jyarber1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 40 Old 01-16-2009, 06:22 AM
Powerstroke Junkie


 
NCHornet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mayberry, NC
Posts: 8,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 49 Times in 11 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If the trans has never been rebuilt you need to use Mercon/Dexron III . Please don't anybody post that Mercon V has been reformulated, it hasn't, and your owners manual says specifically not to use Mercon V. Yes it is true that Ford is now stating it is okay to use, all of a sudden, imagine that. I have discussed this on the forum before so do a search. Bottom line is Mercon/Dexron III is the only ATF to be used in a 4R100. They stopped making it in June of 2007, when the supply is gone, it's gone, so I would stock up. Follow the self flushing technique to get all the fluid changed and you will be good to go.

NCH

NCH
Proud Father of USAF Airman


2000 F350 DRW,CC,LB, 4X4, Western Hauler Pkg.
Ford AIS/ BTM, FTVB
My CCV MOD, Coolant filter
06 Grill, 05 lights,6.0 trans cooler
Cyro/Hawks, JVC Touchscreen HU, JL C5's, Infinity 800watt amp,
DP tunes, 60 tow/80 e/120 race, on a SCT2 tuner
P3 controller, Brite Box Turbo Lifesaver
KMC Wheels x 4

http://s132.photobucket.com/user/NCH...=recent&page=1

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Trucks With Generic Tunes
NCHornet is offline  
post #3 of 40 Old 01-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Quickhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Akron/Canton, Ohio
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This is what I used . . .

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/images/atd_1g_300.jpg

AMSOIL - Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATD)

2008 F350 CCSB FX4 Amsoil fluids, S&B intake, 5" exhaust, Egr delete, Boss V plow, Mega Duty Title mod. http://www.analyticpc.net/
Quickhorse is offline  
post #4 of 40 Old 01-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I also have a 2000 2wd PSD and I changed the trans oil and filter myself with the help of this forum and my amsoil rep. Here is what i learned.

#1 Amsoil ATF did not cause any issues. Around 7 qts in the pan and 20 total used if flushing system.

#2 It was really easy to do with a helper.

#3 Leave old filter in for 100-250 miles after oil change. Your old trans will release alot of sediment and built up deposits once you put in new oil with fresh detergents. Afterwards, drain oil into a clean pan and change filter and replace with drained oil.


The biggest cause of a trans failure, after oil service, is a clogged filter!

2000 F-250 7.3L Powerstroke 4X2
All Stock except for Hypertech Tune
quick_4.6 is offline  
post #5 of 40 Old 01-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Quickhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Akron/Canton, Ohio
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by quick_4.6 View Post
I also have a 2000 2wd PSD and I changed the trans oil and filter myself with the help of this forum and my amsoil rep. Here is what i learned.

#1 Amsoil ATF did not cause any issues. Around 7 qts in the pan and 20 total used if flushing system.

#2 It was really easy to do with a helper.

#3 Leave old filter in for 100-250 miles after oil change. Your old trans will release alot of sediment and built up deposits once you put in new oil with fresh detergents. Afterwards, drain oil into a clean pan and change filter and replace with drained oil.


The biggest cause of a trans failure, after oil service, is a clogged filter!
This is why I use an external inline filter as well!

2008 F350 CCSB FX4 Amsoil fluids, S&B intake, 5" exhaust, Egr delete, Boss V plow, Mega Duty Title mod. http://www.analyticpc.net/
Quickhorse is offline  
post #6 of 40 Old 01-16-2009, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is there a good write up on how to flush the whole system?? So ford says the reformulated Mercon 5? Do you guys think they are lying or just full of it?
jyarber1 is offline  
post #7 of 40 Old 01-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
NYMustang50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I personally haven't had any problems with it. Ive used Mercon 5 in all my vehicles since the tsb came out that SAID it was OK to use it.
NYMustang50 is offline  
post #8 of 40 Old 01-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
RadarRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 4,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
If the trans has never been rebuilt you need to use Mercon/Dexron III . Please don't anybody post that Mercon V has been reformulated, it hasn't, and your owners manual says specifically not to use Mercon V. Yes it is true that Ford is now stating it is okay to use, all of a sudden, imagine that. I have discussed this on the forum before so do a search. Bottom line is Mercon/Dexron III is the only ATF to be used in a 4R100. They stopped making it in June of 2007, when the supply is gone, it's gone, so I would stock up. Follow the self flushing technique to get all the fluid changed and you will be good to go.

NCH
YES!!! I had been worried about this for a long time! I had read about Mercon V & the whole owner's manual saying not to use it. When I did my intercooler swap, I had lost a lot of ATF. I bought the only other thing I could find @ NAPA & it's NAPA brand Mercon/Dexron III. MAN, that makes me feel better!

"HEAVY" 2001 F-250 XLT 4x4 EC SB:
TW 6pos chip, S&B CAI, Monster 4" exhaust w/ Power Elbow, Big Head WGA, Technicooler, ITP boost fooler, Gen 1 Wicked Wheel, Six-Gun Tuner, Optima Yellow Tops, AutoMeter(Boost, Trans, EGT), CCV mod, MTS TC, MTS valve body, Trans Tech performance rebuild kit, TransGo shift kit, Hornblasters 242 Shocker Train Horns.

RadarRider is offline  
post #9 of 40 Old 01-16-2009, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What about the mercon v thats no good?
jyarber1 is offline  
post #10 of 40 Old 01-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
RadarRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 4,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyarber1 View Post
So ford says the reformulated Mercon 5? Do you guys think they are lying or just full of it?
With Ford? It's hard to tell nowadays.

"HEAVY" 2001 F-250 XLT 4x4 EC SB:
TW 6pos chip, S&B CAI, Monster 4" exhaust w/ Power Elbow, Big Head WGA, Technicooler, ITP boost fooler, Gen 1 Wicked Wheel, Six-Gun Tuner, Optima Yellow Tops, AutoMeter(Boost, Trans, EGT), CCV mod, MTS TC, MTS valve body, Trans Tech performance rebuild kit, TransGo shift kit, Hornblasters 242 Shocker Train Horns.

RadarRider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome