Keep hearing about this TC-W3 two stroke oil... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 08:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Keep hearing about this TC-W3 two stroke oil...

Apparently its the bee's knees? What do you do with it and should I be doing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 08:58 AM

Yes you should definitely be doing it.. it really smooths out the truck and quiets the injector noise a bit. Mileage hasnt been affected +/- for the little while i have been running it. You just add it to your fuel when you fill up.. if running straight TCW3 i go 1oz per gallon of fuel, when mixing with diesel kleen i go 20z of TCW3 and 8oz of diesel kleen and have been very happy with those numbers (for a 39 gallon tank).
Old 06-25-2014, 09:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

awesome thanks for the detailed info. I wasnt sure if people were using it in place of products such as Diesel Kleen or not. I have been using Diesel Kleen pretty regularly. Im going to have to try add some of this 2 stroke oil in the next fuel up or two. Any specific place to find this stuff?
Old 06-25-2014, 09:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It's anything BUT the Bees Knees / IMHO....

I can't imagine why a reasonable person would choose to use it over the right additive, actually made to improve Several things in USLD. To me it can only be Laziness, it just So Convenient to run to WW instead stocking something at home....

(Yea, I know,,,,, that's gonna Pi$$ some people off ~ huh? )
Old 06-25-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700hauler View Post
awesome thanks for the detailed info. I wasnt sure if people were using it in place of products such as Diesel Kleen or not. I have been using Diesel Kleen pretty regularly. Im going to have to try add some of this 2 stroke oil in the next fuel up or two. Any specific place to find this stuff?
Walfart supertech oil is the top choice for many, however any TCW3 oil will work. 128oz of it is $13 so it is pretty cost efficient per tank. I used to run 12oz of diesel kleen per tank or every other but never had any noticeable +/-'s. Soon as you start running the 2 smoke oil mix you will hear the engine smooth out and for me personally it felt better in the pedal too.

Heres a comparison to the "real" additives
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
7.3LDriver likes this.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

What do you recommend be used NoRalPh?
Old 06-25-2014, 09:26 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I spend the extra $1.00 per $150 fill-up and use the OptiLube XPD (at the top of the list above). For that, I get Better lubricity than 2-Stroke PLUS the added benefit of getting an anti-gel, cetane improver, & demulsifier.

Here's why it's important to use something in our trucks (which were not designed for ULSD) -> http://rivrdog.typepad.com/files/cop...-version-3.pdf

And I really don't meant to be disrespectful, I Honestly have never been able to get into the "head" of those who choose to use 2-Stoke alone. I've tried,,,, but the only thing I can come up with is it's an ole' timey, diesel remedy like those who used to pour their drain-oil in the tanks, that's Easy to get and better than Nothing....

My thoughts are all in this thread, 1/2 down in this very forum -> TC-W3 2-stroke oil review
Old 06-25-2014, 06:43 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
I spend the extra $1.00 per $150 fill-up and use the OptiLube XPD (at the top of the list above). For that, I get Better lubricity than 2-Stroke PLUS the added benefit of getting an anti-gel, cetane improver, & demulsifier.

Here's why it's important to use something in our trucks (which were not designed for ULSD) -> http://rivrdog.typepad.com/files/cop...-version-3.pdf

And I really don't meant to be disrespectful, I Honestly have never been able to get into the "head" of those who choose to use 2-Stoke alone. I've tried,,,, but the only thing I can come up with is it's an ole' timey, diesel remedy like those who used to pour their drain-oil in the tanks, that's Easy to get and better than Nothing....

My thoughts are all in this thread, 1/2 down in this very forum -> TC-W3 2-stroke oil review

i read your post but i kinda agree and disagree, to add fuel to the fire, i use soley tc-w3 in my fuel(except in the winter) and don't worry about a additive, and here is why...

1. it has smoothed my idle and has quietened the injectors. more than what i can say for other additives i have used in both diesel and gasoline. and it is easy to get(i don't see much of the optilube at the truck stops around here)

2, depending on you fuel source(a big one) you are already getting a fuel that already has additives in it if the fuel source is worth a damn/constantly used, so by adding a additive for "anti gel / cetane / demulsifeing" you could be over doing it.(just something to ponder)

anti-gel isn't really needed til the winter months and most stations mix #1 and #2 diesel to lower the gelling point, but i usually add howes diesel treatment in the winter for insurance if i am using #2 diesel.

i figure if your atleast using some type of additive means you are ahead of the game, the 7.3 was not designed for ulsd but there are still millions of them running around and bet the owners don"t even use additives(do you think the public school system invested in it for the school buses after ULSD was released) ?
Old 06-25-2014, 07:18 PM

I've used Opti-lube, Diesel Kleen, Lucas, Rev-X and the TC-W3, and the TC-W3 is the only one that I noticed a difference, it had a smoother idle, ran real good and seemed too be quieter.

Right now I'm using Diesel Kleen with the TC-W3 because the truck I just bought the injectors need some TLC right now, and after I get them what I think is running better I will switch back over to the Rev-X.

The Rev-X is what my diesel tech sells, and what Bill and Jay at PHP run, so that's what I run now well other than running some diesel kleen. The Opti-lube granted is the best but it's not locally available, but it you want the best bang for your buck with Opti-lube I think the summer blend which the ratio is 1 gallon will treat 2500 gallons of diesel.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Lots of good info. I probably would not use solely the TC-W3. I use Diesel Kleen pretty regularly...heard of the Rev X, and never even seen Optilube. This is my first ever diesel, it was my Dad's, so I just want to make sure I give it its best chance possible at still being able to chug around at half a million miles. After looking at the above chart Im probably going to find something a little better than Diesel Kleen

Last edited by 700hauler; 06-25-2014 at 11:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.