HP needed to do a rolling burnout in Ex - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2014, 02:54 PM
Christ Follower

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HP needed to do a rolling burnout in Ex

Like my sig says, I have a 2003 Ex and was wondering how much HP I would need to get it to do a burnout, say from 25mph, without having to power brake it. I can hold the brake, put the PHP Hydra on 120 Race and easily roast the tires. Always wanted to get to that HP level. I'm guessing around 450-500 but not really sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2014, 03:35 PM
Bird is the Word

Why why and why?
Old 06-24-2014, 03:39 PM
Whistle Pig Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloverLeafFarm View Post
Why why and why?
Why does it concern you so? He wants to I would suggest from the question that he posted. His money, his truck, his choice. Did I miss something?
Old 06-24-2014, 04:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3Excursion4x4 View Post
Like my sig says, I have a 2003 Ex and was wondering how much HP I would need to get it to do a burnout, say from 25mph, without having to power brake it. I can hold the brake, put the PHP Hydra on 120 Race and easily roast the tires. Always wanted to get to that HP level. I'm guessing around 450-500 but not really sure.
You'll need more than I have.

I bet that if I ran with no weight in the bed and no canopy then I could spin em. Or smaller tires.
But as it stands my truck sucks at burnouts. Probably need another 60+ hp
Old 06-24-2014, 04:02 PM
Christ Follower

Just always thought that was a cool goal to shoot for. While slowly building my 7.3, I've never been able to come to a definite goal as far as HP was concerned. Back in my late teens in the early/mid 80's I had a 5.0 mustang that was barely street legal that made between 500-600 hp (naturally aspirated) at the back tires, and could easily do rolling burnouts at 55 with street tires. With the M&H slicks, I could pull wheel stands through 1st and 2nd. Granted, the motors were built by Holman & Moody just north of Charlotte and were designed to destroy bow ties from red light to red light, or 1/4 mile tracks.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:20 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3Excursion4x4 View Post
Just always thought that was a cool goal to shoot for. While slowly building my 7.3, I've never been able to come to a definite goal as far as HP was concerned. Back in my late teens in the early/mid 80's I had a 5.0 mustang that was barely street legal that made between 500-600 hp (naturally aspirated) at the back tires, and could easily do rolling burnouts at 55 with street tires. With the M&H slicks, I could pull wheel stands through 1st and 2nd. Granted, the motors were built by Holman & Moody just north of Charlotte and were designed to destroy bow ties from red light to red light, or 1/4 mile tracks.

what tranny are you running?

could always swap a zf in the toss it in 1st gear doing 55mph

on a serious note:

problem with the 7.3 and doing i think is going to be turbo lag vs your aspirated 5.0 and tranny and how well it puts down the power.

if you don't care about highway mpg and more of 1/4 mile times/burnouts i would swap in some 4.56 or 5.10s, run the stock 265s. as for power not sure on your engine but does it have pmr or forged rods, probably already know you might be pushing it at 600hp with the pmr rods
Old 06-24-2014, 04:38 PM
Bird is the Word

I know for a fact that it takes more than 500 hp to do what you want.
Good luck keeping your PMRs inside. Perhaps look through some threads on how to build a 7.3

Search function is there and works
Old 06-24-2014, 04:43 PM
Christ Follower

I'll be getting on the list for a BTS tranny fairly soon. As for the motor, I have a complete motor sitting on an engine stand in my garage, waiting on an extreme makeover. It has forged rods. I'm going to be running a Irate Diesel T4 setup with either a 366 or 466 turbo, have water meth and a T500 or similar pump.
MPG's do matter, as you can see in my sig, I have 315K miles on her now and that goes up about -1000-1500 every other week
Old 06-24-2014, 05:04 PM
Whistle Pig Driver

I love that most everyone here is friendly and helpful. It makes the occasional crabby know-it-all omnipotent types seem out of place. I am envious of your project personally. Go for it!
Old 06-24-2014, 06:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Compounds and 200% nozzles and you can do rolling burnouts all day long.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.