new to diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 06:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new to diesel

I just bought an 02 with just 120k mi on it. I was just wondering what problems I should look out for and what mods can be done to help prolong the life of the truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 07:11 PM

7.3 is Japanese for bullet proof lol and just change your oil and take care of maintenence she will take care of you. One thing I would do though is buy a cps sensor 20-30 bucks get one from ford or a international dealer not a cheap *** one keep it in the glove box you will thank me later

Last edited by Berto; 06-23-2014 at 07:19 PM. Reason: updated info
Old 06-23-2014, 08:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

good info! ^
Old 06-24-2014, 05:04 AM
Premium Member

id say if you start going hard on the truck it starts leaking tranny fluid out under where the torque convertor, but it only leaks when your going hard its most likely the trans front pump seal,

mine started leaking at 160K, but only when i was driving her hard, but i would do 1,200 mile road trip without leaking anything, just cruising
but i had the whole thing rebuilt and not its amazing,

like Berto said, these 7.3s are amazing, ive had mine a year and thats the only problem ive had^^ but if you want some cool mods check out my build thread, in the next month im about to go crazy and do every part and mod out there
Old 06-24-2014, 06:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

IMHO change ALL the filter's and fluid's, I just picked up a 2001 that replaced my beloved RIP 2000 7.3L, and the guy did a good job of keeping it good looking but after changing the oil, transmission, rear gear oil, coolant flush, power steering flush, fuel filter(was horrible) I think all he did was fuel up and drive it

I've spent a few days of getting dirty nasty and sweating to start nursing the truck back into good health, but I'm afraid the power steering pump is done and I'm hoping I can get a few more miles out of the injector's, I'm giving them a dose of Diesel Kleen and 2 stroke oil every tank I fill up.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:43 AM

Welcome to the club.
The best advice I can give you is stay far far away from these forums, and trade in for a gasser.

The mod bug will bite you eventually, and the quest for more power gets very expensive after awhile
Old 06-24-2014, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Welcome to the club.
The best advice I can give you is stay far far away from these forums, and trade in for a gasser.

The mod bug will bite you eventually, and the quest for more power gets very expensive after awhile

i can agree with that!!! i got over $20,000 just in parts on my truck, it started out as a simple 08 tail light swap and exhuast, and boom i dun bot every part for it possible and i dont regret a dollar of it, maybe a couple bucks, but every time i look at my truck and drive it puts the biggest grind on my face.

they say money cant buy happiness but you can buy a 7.3 and dump a boat load of parts in it and thats close enough for me
Joel likes this.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks y'all. I know the mod bug's bite well I'm coming from the LS world. I'll try to hold off as long as possible but we will see how that goes.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:38 PM

If you're going to do it anyways then why bother waiting? Get the basic air, billet wheel, exhaust, gauges, and tunes right away and have a truck that's actually enjoyable instead of a slug
Old 06-24-2014, 07:54 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
If you're going to do it anyways then why bother waiting? Get the basic air, billet wheel, exhaust, gauges, and tunes right away and have a truck that's actually enjoyable instead of a slug

Exactly! Atleast wake up the truck away like Joel said! Yesterday I turned the switch to the stock tune and drive about a mile before I just had to switch it back to the 80hp tow tune (my go tune for daily driving). It just reminded me how fvckin sluggish these trucks are stock tuned. PM Corey, hucorey, he's cool dude and has good prices

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.