Thinking about a 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking about a 6.0

Just like the title says thinking about going to a 6.0 truck. Really like the newer gadgets they have with the power rear slider, up fitter switches, and built in brake controller. Plus my wife hates my truck since ive swapped it to a zf6. She likes the King Ranch trucks and to be honest i do to. Ive been a 7.3 guy since i got my liscense(ive had 3 of them). I really love my 7.3 and probably gonna be sick if i get rid of it but the idea of a newer truck with the better ride and steering of an 05 and up truck sounds inticing. Be honest with me guys am i screwing up? Keep in mind ive gotta keep the wife happy since she has to drive it too with a loaded trailer of hay from time to time and the truck needs a paint job bad and the cheapest ive been qouted on that is 2900. My truck is the one in my sig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 06:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I wouldn't be too scared of a 6.0 if you're the type to really keep up on maintenance and if you aren't afraid of the occasional service.

If you cant/won't do troubleshooting and minor service work on your own then stay away.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:58 PM

I almost bought a 6.0. If it would've been a 4dr it'd be in my driveway now. It was a monster power wise.
If it's not bulletproofed walk away from it! You can look at the side of the motor just below the valve covers and see if it has studs or not. Better steering, better ride, better transmission and more power.
I say go for it and give it a try.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
I wouldn't be too scared of a 6.0 if you're the type to really keep up on maintenance and if you aren't afraid of the occasional service.

If you cant/won't do troubleshooting and minor service work on your own then stay away.
I did forget to mention that i do work on these trucks quite reguraly, as i maintain and repair 2 different fleet services. one of which has 4 6.0s in theres and the other being my father in laws fleet which has 6-6.0 trucks but his are the 05 thru 07 trucks.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning95 View Post
I almost bought a 6.0. If it would've been a 4dr it'd be in my driveway now. It was a monster power wise.
If it's not bulletproofed walk away from it! You can look at the side of the motor just below the valve covers and see if it has studs or not. Better steering, better ride, better transmission and more power.
I say go for it and give it a try.
Yes i agree with all the above, Ive have "bulletproofed" two 6.0 trucks myself and i cant tell you how many oil coolers and egr deletes ive done this year alone. The not being bulletproofed doesnt scare me as much as how its been maintanenced or treated. Ive got 2 6.0 trucks in my father n laws fleet that i have serviced since day one and one has 307k and the other 320k(both 03) and they have never been bulletproofed, just deleted and new oil coolers. and several high pressure o-rings, stand pipes, hpops, and injectors. i just did a delete, oil cooler,hpop and cleaned the turbo in my driveway last weekend on a buddys 6.0. I guess ive just never thought of myself considering a 6.0 after having great succes with 7.3s. Thank you for the reassurance on it not being a total wash out of an idea!
Old 06-23-2014, 07:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Based on your experience I wouldn't be scared of a six oh at all.

I'm in too deep with this truck, or else it would be time for me to upgrade.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Based on your experience I wouldn't be scared of a six oh at all.

I'm in too deep with this truck, or else it would be time for me to upgrade.
Its just hard for me to give up a really great reliable truck thats meets all my needs but NOT my wifes. But on the other hand some upgrades wouldnt hurt my feelings. Guess it would be cheaper and easier to trade the truck than my wife (i shouldnt say that she really is a great woman)
Old 06-23-2014, 08:08 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
The. 6.0 gets a bad wrap, if you work on these rigs from time to time then you should love the truck. I would recommend getting an 05 or better for the newer interior and the coil springs. I guess you know you will need to monitor the truck vitals. I have never owned a 7.3 so I can not compare the two.
Now as far as bullet proofing goes that is not a big deal just will give you some barging chips when negotiating a price. Me if I could go back, I would have gotten a Harley Davidson addition, king ranch interior is nice just not me.
The biggest selling point is what you can get a 6.0 for, compared to the newer models plus there is a huge market for parts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-23-2014, 08:42 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
All of the options you want are simple additions to make your 7.3 just as comfy and plush, it's better then buying a new truck imho
Old 06-24-2014, 06:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
All of the options you want are simple additions to make your 7.3 just as comfy and plush, it's better then buying a new truck imho
I agree on the interior items but u can buy a nice king ranch for just what the seats are bringing in nice shape. Plus you can't swap to the coil spring suspension for cheap and the torque shift trans won't work with a 7.3. By the time I spent that kinda money doing all the upgrades I could have bought a nice 6.7 truck, which is way out of my budget and logical thinking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.