Looking at buying a 02 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2014, 09:29 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking at buying a 02 7.3

Hey, so I need some help figuring out if this truck I am looking at is worth buying. The truck is a 02 supercab( I call it extended cab) short bed f250. The truck has 180k miles on it. It is a xlt model, rust free,has exhaust,intake, no tune as far as I know, after market wheels and decent tread left on the tires, 6 inch rough country lift. Paint is fair, has the 05-07 front end conversion done ( some lines are a little off). Power windows and doors. Interior could use a heavy detailing. They want $10k for the truck. Is this a fair price? Are there any concerns I should be worried about with that many miles?Looking at buying a 02 7.3-image.jpg

Last edited by ibanez0154; 06-23-2014 at 05:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 06:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

With that mileage and if it's the original transmission it might not last a whole lot longer, and since it's lifter that add's extra wear and tear on the transmission. I would check all the fluids, flip the oil cap and lay it over the fill tube and see if it has any blow by, and crawl all over and under the truck.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:00 AM

Also pull the intake tube off the turbo and check for turbo play and bent or worn fins. Bent or worn fins can tell you that the intake did not seal properly and has dusted the turbo. That's where flipping the oil fill cap comes in. If it blows the cap off it means it needs rebuilt. Price is good. If you get it just set back around $3k for a tranny. It could be soon or it could be at 230k.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:39 AM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
How's the suspension? How's the tranny fluid look and smell? Any service records with the truck?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-24-2014, 12:01 PM

I did a once over when I looked at it the other day. Suspension seemed fine, I just don't know how I feel about rough country lifts since I have heard not so positive reviews. The truck has no leaks and it was sitting for a while before I checked it out since it's at a local diesel ( extremely reputable )shop in the area. I know they said they did some work to it when the previous owner had it.. I'll have to check on that when I look at it again. I'll definitely look into the turbo as you described. Not sure of the history of the transmission and neither were they, so I'm going to assume it's original
Old 06-24-2014, 01:39 PM

I ran a rough country 6" on my first truck and it rode better than factory. Current truck has a 4" Pro Comp and i think the Rough Country rode better than this one. Only problem i had with my rough country was after about 6 months i had a popping from the front end. The spring eye bushings in the front had wallowed out and when you hit a bump it rattled. i called rough country and they attributed it to me tightening when it was in the air or on the ground , whichever it was the opposite of what they say to do.... Called energy suspension and ordered polyurethane that didnt fit , ground them down to where they fit in the eye and rocked on with no more problems.
Price doesn't look bad , as stated already , just plan on 200k from the tranny , and if survives past that count your blessings. Most of your speedco oil change places located by Major truck stop centers can do an instant oil analysis for $30 , cheap look at whats going on inside the motor , but if maintenace has been kept up in any sorts then 180k is leaving the next owner LOTS of life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.