HELP! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation HELP!

I know this isnt the right Forumn but im having engine AND tranny probs and didnt feel like posting it twice

Heres the deal...went out last night to start the truck up and it cranks up fine as im leaving the driveway the engine starts missing out terribly, im talkin to the point where it sounds like its gonna die then all of a sudden it will rev up to about 1500rmps then choke back out.
2nd problem...Once the engine started doing this my transmission basically stops working, 1700-2000 rpms for the truck to budge an inch. When it would move it had horrible slipping issues.
Im pointing my finger at the TC and heres way (may be completley wrong) a few years back the TC went out and it caused the engine to do the same exact thing..miss really bad...once the TC was put in the engine ran fine The local mechanic that did the work said there is some sort of module that causes the truck not to run when the TC is shot. I dont know how well this statement holds up so im coming to the experts

Is my transmissin dead and motor having problems or is it what i stated above?
Thanks for any replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 02:06 PM

wheres all my techies at?
Old 01-13-2009, 02:42 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinsmoke7.3 View Post
I know this isnt the right Forumn but im having engine AND tranny probs and didnt feel like posting it twice

Heres the deal...went out last night to start the truck up and it cranks up fine as im leaving the driveway the engine starts missing out terribly, im talkin to the point where it sounds like its gonna die then all of a sudden it will rev up to about 1500rmps then choke back out.
2nd problem...Once the engine started doing this my transmission basically stops working, 1700-2000 rpms for the truck to budge an inch. When it would move it had horrible slipping issues.
Im pointing my finger at the TC and heres way (may be completley wrong) a few years back the TC went out and it caused the engine to do the same exact thing..miss really bad...once the TC was put in the engine ran fine The local mechanic that did the work said there is some sort of module that causes the truck not to run when the TC is shot. I dont know how well this statement holds up so im coming to the experts

Is my transmissin dead and motor having problems or is it what i stated above?
Thanks for any replies
Have you gotten an SES? If it's missing, you should try to get a scan tool that can do buzz & contribution tests. I've heard in rare cases too, that a CPS can cause missing & usually affect 2 opposing injectors.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRider View Post
Have you gotten an SES? If it's missing, you should try to get a scan tool that can do buzz & contribution tests. I've heard in rare cases too, that a CPS can cause missing & usually affect 2 opposing injectors.
Didnt get any SES or CEL light. Trucks already at the mechanic but if its something with the tranny i wanna go ahead and get some aftermarket parts put in it while its tore apart. Just lookin to see if anyone has any ideas as to what happened. As soon as the engine acted up the tranny seemed to hit the dirt to.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:19 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinsmoke7.3 View Post
Didnt get any SES or CEL light. Trucks already at the mechanic but if its something with the tranny i wanna go ahead and get some aftermarket parts put in it while its tore apart. Just lookin to see if anyone has any ideas as to what happened. As soon as the engine acted up the tranny seemed to hit the dirt to.
A lot of times, engine performance will affect trans. performance & even throw tranny codes. Another place you could check is your pick up screen in your fuel tank. This actually sounds like what your problem is. I've had a friend who's truck was running poorly & had the same tranny symptoms you do. When we threw it on the Scanner, he had all sorts of boost, ICP, wastegate, & a 2nd, & 3rd gear out of sync. It turned out it was the screen @ the pick up in his fuel tank. After he had cleaned it out, we cleared the codes & he drove it around for a week. We rescanned the truck & he had no codes & everything was working fine.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:21 PM

considering what I just went through I might have to second the fuel issue.
all of a sudden the truck was idling suuuuuper rough.
part of the problem was the cam sensor - which is a recall on my 99
the other problem was that I had stuff gunked up in the fuel filter and then once I got air in the lines it drove terrible and it wouldnt really start moving till about 1500rpms....when I could get it that high.
changed out the two parts and tried to start the truck with the fuel filter half cracked open to get it as full as possible. Let the truck idle for 20 mins and then took it on the freeway when it was half way running. About 5-10 miles and it was all good in the hood as they say in the biz.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:51 AM

Thats good to know. We were thinking it was the tranny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.