Commercial or Passenger in NY - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 01-12-2009, 05:38 PM Thread Starter Rookie
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile Commercial or Passenger in NY

Hi I am new to the board.

I am looking to buy my first powerstroke and was wondering if there is any poeple out there that was able to register their diesel with passenger plates in NY? The NYS DMV says that a truck can't have more than a 5500 pounds unladen weight. I am looking to purchase a used F-250 4x4 7.3 ext or crew shortbed. But I need to be able to get passenger plates on it.(live off a parkway) I did a search and am seeing a lot of different weights. Is curb weight the same as unladen weight? Is there anyone out in NY that was able to get passengers plates for their powerstroke? I really want to get a powerstroke but can't if I can't get passenger plates.

matty180 is offline  
post #2 of 3 Old 01-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Ryan Rønning's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 20,735
Thanks: 10
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Welcome to the ORG! I dont know the answer to your question but good luck with the search!

Project Frankenstein

1997 Ford F-350, Dually conversion, Cobra 29 LX CB, 12000 watt converter, All LED lights, TW tunes, 4" DP, Napa Intake, coolant filter, 140cc Injectors and lots of running lights.

Originally Posted by XPLOSIV View Post
Thanks. I'll give er a good wackin in the morning.
Ryan Rønning is offline  
post #3 of 3 Old 01-12-2009, 08:44 PM Fanatic
NYMustang50's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 149
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Im from Longisland so I know what your talking about. The only way you will be able to get passenger plates for your truck any truck 250 or 2500 or higher you will need a cap on it. I dont know what kind weather it be a hard cover or a full body cap. That you will have to call dmv and ask. But I do know you need something over the bed to make your truck be able to have passenger plates and be allowed on our stupid highways... I'm in the same thing but I choose to just get the commercial ones because I snow plow and use it for work and they wont allow it to be passenger if I do that stuff and plus I got company writing on it and thats another no no..
NYMustang50 is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome