Dual Alternator question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 06:42 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dual Alternator question

I have a 2000 CC LB 7.3 and am looking to add a second alternator. I believe the trucks that came with the tow package had this. I was hoping Guzzle would have a write up on this but I didn't see it.

Is there a special bracket that I have to get for the lower alt? or is it just a matter of a new vbelt and alternator?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 05:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't know about "tow Package" dual alts, but I'm pretty sure ambulance packages had duals. you might cruise the wrecking yards to find the bracket, and do a little research for the wiring.

Why do you want duals anyway? a welder maybe?
Old 01-12-2009, 06:03 AM

I thought it was the snow plow package came with duals.
but i think the top radiator hose is different.
i remember reading some where you have to pull the hose off to get the belt off
Old 01-12-2009, 06:13 AM

The plow prep came standard with a bigger alternator, and it was a option on about any package to go to the dual setup
Old 01-12-2009, 07:25 AM

I wonder the same thing. It would be nice for charging batteries. I am going to put a few more in my 5th. wonder how mad the single alt in my truck gets when you stack 5 or 6 batteries on it

From what I understand, the ambulance packages had duals and you could add duals as a factory option.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:44 AM

FYI: My truck has the amb package, has duals... don't know about the others with or with out... this prob doesn't help you much, as you already know this...

As the others said, check junk yards for a amb with dual alts, bracket should be bolt on, not sure how the wiring would tie in tho...

Good luck!
Old 01-12-2009, 07:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to ABoyAndHisToys
I swapped my motor a year ago with one that had single alt. setup. The battery harness is different and there is a bracket that needs to be added. I'll look around for the pics.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:21 PM

interesting

Yea when my alternator blew up a little while ago I went to Ford and got a new one, they were askin me about whether my truck was single or dual....I said single but checked around and found that some of the trucks came with them.

As far as taking the radiator hose off, I have to do that just to mess with the belt anyway, and my truck is a single alt. But I didn't know you needed a different bracket.

Yea I wanna run some lightforce 170s, around 3-4 across the front and I am putting in my audio system, in the past when I put my audio system into vehicles, (most car POSs) it would dim the lights which usually means you are not running enough amperage to run everything. I have a 110amp alternator but thought if I could find a to run one for the actual starting system and regular truck functions and run the other for my aux lights and sound system that that would be a better option.

ABoY-if you can find those pics I would appreicate it.

Thanks for the replies!

Last edited by CaptAhab; 01-13-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptAhab View Post

Yea I wanna run some lightforce 170s, around 3-4 across the front and I am putting in my audio system, in the past when I put my audio system into vehicles, (most car POSs) it would dim the lights which usually means you are not running enough amperage to run everything.
when I had my last "big" system in my other truck I use to get the dimming lights too when the bass would hit. I added a 2 or 3 farid (whatever they call it) cap right next to the amp and that helped a bunch! I was only pulling about 50 amps on the booms (measured with my clamp meter) and my alt was a 110 on that truck. added a cap, and the dimming lights just about went away
Old 01-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Emergency Services

Dual alternators is standard of ambulance packages. It was probably an option on other trucks and vans too.

The obvious thing that will be needed is the lower bracket. No-brainer there. Wiring the main alternator output is not a problem either. The problem I see is that the alternator is controlled by the PCM. The PCM tells the alternator when to charge and when not to. If you installed a Ford lower alternator (BTW the upper and lower are different), you may have no way to actually activate it. I don't know if the PCM is already set up to accept it, provided you knew what pin to attach it to. I'll try to remember to check my PCED and wiring diagram books tomorrow to see if it is possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.