Improving Mileage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-18-2006, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Improving Mileage

I have a 03 F250 with the 7.3 L diesel engine. So far I have installed a K&N open-air intake, 4 exhaust, Super Chip set on Safe-Tow and put on LT285/75R16 tires and had the speedometer adjusted. I have been getting around 14 MPG in the city and about 18.5 on the highway and I need to improve this. I have been looking at Zillaraider, Bully Dog 6 Position 4 Bank, and the Edge Juice w/Attitude Monitor. Please let me know what your preference would be to get the best improvement, other options, where can I get the best price and are there any used ones on the market? THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 12-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Foothills, NC
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I don't think any of those will help your mileage much. You're getting pretty good mileage now. You didn't mention your rear end ratio but if you're really after better mileage, you might want to consider a Gear Vendor Overdrive unit, and run double overdrive on the highway. Lowering your speed on the highway will also help, but from the numbers you mention, it appears you already know how to drive for fuel mileage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 12-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyB View Post
I don't think any of those will help your mileage much. You're getting pretty good mileage now. You didn't mention your rear end ratio but if you're really after better mileage, you might want to consider a Gear Vendor Overdrive unit, and run double overdrive on the highway. Lowering your speed on the highway will also help, but from the numbers you mention, it appears you already know how to drive for fuel mileage.
What is a Gear Vender Overdrive Unit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 12-18-2006, 05:17 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit


 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Trempealeau, WI
Posts: 30,988
Thanks: 108
Thanked 89 Times in 83 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Hypertech is a good programmer for fuel economy, although i cannot complain about my BD chip i get 20 to 24 on #2 diesel winter blend i drop to about 16
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 12-18-2006, 05:17 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit


 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Trempealeau, WI
Posts: 30,988
Thanks: 108
Thanked 89 Times in 83 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
what ratio is your rear end
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 12-18-2006, 05:24 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Foothills, NC
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
What is a Gear Vender Overdrive Unit?
Gear Vendors under/overdrive transmissions the most awarded auxiliary transmissions.

Check out their site. It's an overdrive unit that adapts to your transmission that allows gear splitting and double overdrive. My dad has ran one for years behind an older IDI 7.3/C6 truck, and it works well. A bit pricey, but nice unit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 12-18-2006, 05:40 PM
International Threat
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 13,087
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
He has an F250 - stock it's a 3.73 10.25 sterling rear.

You have 33" tall tire. You will get better mileage if you go back to 265's since they weigh less, and have less rolling resistance. That will be the best way to get better mileage.

The next thing is to keep your RPM's UNDER 2000 ALL THE TIME - very hard to do.

After that, minimize your braking. The less you brake the less kinetic energy you've produced w/ the burning of diesel will be taken away.

Another thing you can do is run HIGH PSI in your tires = less contact with the road = less resistance.

You can also do fuel tank mods that will increase your mileage.

Keep everything up to snuff and well maintained IE: all filter changes, oil, ball joints etc...

Bed cover usually helps too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 12-18-2006, 05:47 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Foothills, NC
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintain View Post
He has an F250 - stock it's a 3.73 10.25 sterling rear.

You have 33" tall tire. You will get better mileage if you go back to 265's since they weigh less, and have less rolling resistance. That will be the best way to get better mileage.

The next thing is to keep your RPM's UNDER 2000 ALL THE TIME - very hard to do.

After that, minimize your braking. The less you brake the less kinetic energy you've produced w/ the burning of diesel will be taken away.

Another thing you can do is run HIGH PSI in your tires = less contact with the road = less resistance.

You can also do fuel tank mods that will increase your mileage.

Keep everything up to snuff and well maintained IE: all filter changes, oil, ball joints etc...

Bed cover usually helps too...
How about a little more elaboration on the fuel tank mods.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 12-18-2006, 05:54 PM
International Threat
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 13,087
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
In tank: gets rid of mixing chamber and the possibility of sucking air in when fuel is 1/4 tank or less. Also allows you to fill up much faster.

Pre-pump Mod: gets rid of the "quick connect" lines that tend to suck in air and cause Cackle (refer to last mod in this post for another way to help solve problems with the dead end fuel setup.)

Shims; Fuel pressure: each truck varies, but somewhere between 65-70 psi seems to be a sweet spot for many trucks. Some like less, some like more.

Also look at this instead of a full Reg Return setup (not as good but worth the time...)
The fuel mod (FX mod) is linking the fuel rails together (head to head). I have seen very little written about this mod. The idea is to not starve the injectors for fuel.

check this out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 12-18-2006, 06:07 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Foothills, NC
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintain View Post
In tank: gets rid of mixing chamber and the possibility of sucking air in when fuel is 1/4 tank or less. Also allows you to fill up much faster.

Pre-pump Mod: gets rid of the "quick connect" lines that tend to suck in air and cause Cackle (refer to last mod in this post for another way to help solve problems with the dead end fuel setup.)

Shims; Fuel pressure: each truck varies, but somewhere between 65-70 psi seems to be a sweet spot for many trucks. Some like less, some like more.

Also look at this instead of a full Reg Return setup (not as good but worth the time...)
The fuel mod (FX mod) is linking the fuel rails together (head to head). I have seen very little written about this mod. The idea is to not starve the injectors for fuel.

check this out

How much of a mileage increase do you think all of these mods combined will yield?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors