Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

These 7.3's can tow!

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Austen 
#1 · (Edited)
I had been road tripping in my truck the past couple of days due to a temporary work related move that is out of state and wanted to share a couple of observations along the way.

While traveling over the Siskyous I came across a 7.3 hot shotter (truck was clearly marked as something along the lines of "coast to coast transport") hauling a gigantic cabin cruiser/small yacht on a big triple axle trailer. The truck was a crew cab long bed 2wd dually, may have been a manual too. The load wasn't some small 28 footer cuddy on a big trailer either, this was one of those types that you would almost see lifted out of the water with a crane and or could almost see on a low boy. Any way, I could clearly tell by the sound of the engine/exhaust tone that it was a 7.3 so I thought this should be interesting to see if how it does on the steep grades.

To say that I was amazed would be an understatement. The guy was in the passing lane the majority of the time passing other vehicles in the slow lane left and right. I stuck with him for about 75 miles watching this and it was a pretty impressive sight. It was obvious though the truck was not bone stock as I saw gauge pillar, had an exhaust etc like we all have.

While I can't say that I pulled anything near that weight, I was hauling my enclosed trailer and the truck maintained RPM's consistently on the demanding grades. Having owned gas vehicles all my life, this observation is one of the things that really separates the two apart in terms of towing. Typically when you've got a tough load on a gas vehicle, the RPM's will drop significantly requiring constant down shifting etc whereas a diesel can maintain a constant RPM under load easier.

See less See more
#2 ·
Would a been cool to get a pic of that.

Steve604 hauled a pretty big boat a little while back and he got a few pics

#3 ·
I went from towing everything with a '97 f250 with a 460 to my current truck and i was blown away at the difference. hauling my moms 8k pound travel trailer, that 460 couldnt even look at OD and was still a dog. my 7.3 shifts normal ad hits overdrive and just keeps on pullin. Blew my mind how much of a difference there was

#4 ·
everything I pull dont look cool as its just dirt or retaining wall blocks but yea they work good...I wish mine was a manual :sad:

I've done 6-10 tons in our dump trailer, here in colorado in the rockies...but dont look cool :hehe:

#5 ·

Not a cool looking load, but that right there put me at 32kGVW...

#7 ·
How can you guys do this? When I haul my skid loader on the freeway i can't get the truck to go any faster than 63mph. Its a 7,500lb skid loader on a 22' tilt bed. Ive heard my injectors could be weak, think that would fix it? Just not sure about the truck anymore.

#8 ·
I'd say you have some issues. I can cruise at 75-80 easily pulling my brick *** jeep. Trailer & Jeep weighs I believe in the 9k range with a relative stock Excursion.

#10 ·
I have used my 6.0 for towing and my 7.3, and my 7.3 is awesome. The 6.0 is always broken, and the 7.3 just keeps on trucking, major piece of mind with the 7.3. The 6.0 is like a hybrid race horse, goes, goes some more really good, and then......its done. Dump more money in it to go some more. I like it, but Im in the process of rebuilding my whole 7.3 truck back to total awesomeness. Just ranting, sorry, been pissed at my 6.0 lately.

#11 ·
The truck has 145,000miles. It has a intake, exhaust, and a TS chip. When the chip on it isn't to bad, if I tow with the chip on and go up a hill and give it pedal to keep going it then throws a code which I'm not sure of what it is! When the chip was installed the performance shop guy said my injectors were weak but don't believe them sometimes! My car goes in Tuesday so need the truck then but will ask then if they can test it for me! I know the dealership good so they won't screw me. Just wanted to see what u guys thought about the idea of the injectors being weak!

#14 ·
My injectors were bad when my bought my truck with about 180,000 miles and I'm pretty sure that the injectors were bad for a long time before that.

Power was low and I would get a CEL under load which was an ICP below desired. After replacing my injectors with a lower mile set I gained a lot of power and no more ICP codes.

My truck was abused and was very likely run low on oil many times. Running low on oil will apparently cause the injectors to run very hot and take a lot of time off the life of the injectors. I know that mine were all stained pretty dark from heat and bad oil.

#12 ·
your injectors should be fine, i have 100k more miles and my injectors are still ok.

try running some fuel cleaner through coupled with changing the fuel filter.

could have partially clogged screens in the tank with a clogged fuel filter :look:

or a bad ipr? etc etc etc lol

#13 ·
Would a been cool to get a pic of that.
Good point! Can't believe the thought hadn't crossed my mind now that I think about it. :doh:

about how old my truck is and how its a dinosaur...I laugh and ask what trucks all the landscapers and construction companies use for their workhorses.....usually shuts em up
No kidding! The hot shotters seem to hold on to them due to the stone cold reliability of the engine and the durability of the truck itself.

#16 ·
I am a contractor and I have two OBS, and this 2003 in the pictures. Over the years Ive owned 6 different 7.3's, AND I WISH I STILL HAD THEM ALL. Granted the newer strokes, Cummings, and duramaxes may have more power and may pass me on the hills, but Ill tell you what ive got 250,000+ miles on this truck and she still pulls loads like this, till today, at least once a week. And the 90% of the time, the only time ive had to down the truck is for maintenance. (or upgrades :))

I may not take a bet to race a 1/4 mile, But if any other diesel besides a 7.3 wants to hook up a loaded trailer and race me to 100k more miles, Im all over that, and BTW, you better bring some cash.

#17 ·
I wanna tow something heavy. I feel like my truck would do pretty good with a load.

#19 ·

36' of bumper pull right there... LOL.

Reactions: Austen
#20 ·
Great photos guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.