not what i expected from a 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
not what i expected from a 7.3

i have a 2000 crew cab long bed 4x4 7.3 PSD. 4.5 lift, 315 goodyear MTRs, TS 6 pos chip, banks bighead wastegate and compressor wheel and a 4" turbo back exhaust straight pipe.

the truck doesnt seem to tow very well. i had a 2005 f-150 with a 4.6 v8 and that seemed to tow better than my PSD. i tow a 7k lbs trailer and my egts get way too hot around 1050 ( sending unit tapped in on down pipe for the exhaust.) if there are any california people here i cant go above 60 on cajon pass with out pushing the EGTs to the limit. i have stock 3:73 gears. is this just how the diesel trucks perform? i have a hard time keeping up with stock silverados or f-150s. the truck seems really slow on any chip setting i use.

is there any upgrades that may help me lower egts more and give me some more power for those nasty hills?

thanks alot for any help,
chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2006, 01:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

mine runs like a champ but i am runing the sniper interfac and it runs better than a gas i smoke z-71 s for lunch and as for power i have plunty pulled a 7000# trailer up a 6% grad from dead stop for 8 miles hit 80mph in no time egt would mot go over 1000 love my sniper look in my garoge and you can see mods. and i get 17.5 at 77mph empty
Old 12-17-2006, 05:25 AM

You should be able to tow the 7k and pull the 4.6. What kind of boost are you getting?
Old 12-17-2006, 07:22 AM

what pos is the chip in? do you have an intake? cajon is a pretty long run but you should be able to do better then 60 up it.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to Albie30 Send a message via Yahoo to Albie30
It sounds like you may have a leak in the intercooler system someplace check your boots to make sure they are tight As far as upgrades 6.0 intercooler water meth injection or bigger turbo bigger anything to get more air in will bring down temps
Old 12-17-2006, 11:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

im towing with O/D off and the chip is on the 50 HP setting running at 30 psi. my EGTs are right there at 1050. i usually drive around on the 75 hp setting and i had a ford fiesta pass me the other day. i was really ashamed. is there any certain thing i need to do to it? the truck has 105k miles on it.

thanks again for the help,
chris
Old 12-17-2006, 02:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin250 View Post
i have a 2000 crew cab long bed 4x4 7.3 PSD. 4.5 lift, 315 goodyear MTRs, TS 6 pos chip, banks bighead wastegate and compressor wheel and a 4" turbo back exhaust straight pipe.

the truck doesnt seem to tow very well. i had a 2005 f-150 with a 4.6 v8 and that seemed to tow better than my PSD. i tow a 7k lbs trailer and my egts get way too hot around 1050 ( sending unit tapped in on down pipe for the exhaust.) if there are any california people here i cant go above 60 on cajon pass with out pushing the EGTs to the limit. i have stock 3:73 gears. is this just how the diesel trucks perform? i have a hard time keeping up with stock silverados or f-150s. the truck seems really slow on any chip setting i use.

is there any upgrades that may help me lower egts more and give me some more power for those nasty hills?

thanks alot for any help,
chris
Well you have pretty much the biggest truck you can get from Ford other than 450 and up. I would venture to say that the tires have a lot to do with it. I swapped a set of cooper street radials for my spare set of Goodyear mtr's and I knew there would be a bit of a difference just by the weight of the tires. I swear those mtr's were double the weight, plus they were slightly larger in overall diameter as the coopers were nearing bald and the mtr's had less than 500mi.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:51 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Doubt that the tires MAKE that MUCH of a difference BUT they dont' help! If towing is what you're after then a set of 4.10's would do you nicely!

ALso you shouldn't be hitting 30psi, and you are probably leaking at an intercooler boot because your truck should dayum near be able to outrun an f150 4.6 w/ a trailer in tow lol...
Old 12-17-2006, 03:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
in my expererience, the difference was very noticeable so don't really doubt what I stated unless you drove my rig every day and felt what I felt. Only real positive I felt as far as performance to the change was the benefit of the traction from the softer compound.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:14 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Smokin73Stroker View Post
in my expererience, the difference was very noticeable so don't really doubt what I stated unless you drove my rig every day and felt what I felt. Only real positive I felt as far as performance to the change was the benefit of the traction from the softer compound.
Smoke, I wasn't doubtin YOU, I was doubting it was the tires having the biggest influence on his rig.

265's to 315's made little difference imo. In fact, I felt that it towed better w/ bigger tires. Then again, they were BFG A/T's NOT MTR's which I just saw is what he has. (they're heavier). Either way, 4.10's would do you nicely.

Last edited by Marty; 12-17-2006 at 04:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.