Quick question on smoke colors; - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2006, 04:46 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Lord Tauk Send a message via AIM to Lord Tauk
Quick question on smoke colors;

My truck's an 01, and I haven't had it through winter yet. Low miles for the year (60,000). Completely stock. All maintenance kept up.

Today was about 51 degrees fahrenheit in Maryland which is kinda warm for Mid-December here. I noticed under a good heavy right foot (Auto-Stock 4R100) the turbo spools quickly and I see an initial grayish-white smoke, not a lot by any means, but enough to notice if you're lookign out the right mirror and it doesn't keep smoking either. Truck was warmed up. No fluid loss on anything, truck cranks over fine in the coldest temps so far (low 30s) without plugging in. I've been plugging in when it gets down to the 20s. I only happen to see it because it was late afternoon and the sun was at a certain angle to the road.

Maybe it was the humidity, or something to due with the weather. It doesn't smoke if you just drive it normally.

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2006, 04:55 PM

Sounds pretty normal to me. Even when stock, I could make my truck smoke slightly as you have described.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyB View Post
Sounds pretty normal to me. Even when stock, I could make my truck smoke slightly as you have described.
Cool, that's what I figured. I had assumed it was just a little extra unused fuel exiting the combustion chamber on a fast spool up combined with the low temps outside - I didn't notice any smoke at all when it was over 60 degrees. Also, I don't let my PSD low idle too long either, so it's not like I caused a problem that I didn't know about.

Thanks.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:15 PM
Power Strokeaholic

that dont sound totaly normal to me. white smoke is normal in cold weather on start up but not driving down the road in a warm truck. white smoke also indicates water being burnt. witch would explain not losing water. instead you might be using water. check the water if you havent. also unburned fuel will be black.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:18 PM
Banned

Honestly, I couldn't tell what color it was. It wasn't blue, I know that for sure.

Using, loosing; whatever synonymyou want to use.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:25 PM
Power Strokeaholic

it was just some food for thought. if it sounds ok and acts ok then it might be ok. if your not worried i'm not worried.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_stroke View Post
it was just some food for thought. if it sounds ok and acts ok then it might be ok. if your not worried i'm not worried.
It's always knowing of future problems to look for.

I swear it must've been weather related - as it has been real cool and real foggy in the mornings lately. This morning, no fog it was colder than yesterday and I couldn't get any smoke, and as it started to warm up it still wouldn't show any signs of the smoke I saw yesterday.

It wasn't fog I was seeing either.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:51 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
what part of maryland are you from?

Here is my truck BEFORE the 10k
Video of New Exhaust I installed on my truck from MBRP - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Usually the first time I hit it pretty good after a startup, it would smoke some. If you're seeing it at night it's more the heat and haze you see in the headlights behind you. If it's during the day it's probably not enough for other motorists to see! Anyways, if it smokes like the video that's fine, that's how about all of the 11 7.3 stock PSD's that I'm in contact with smoke.

IF it does that EVERYTIME you have decent accel, or just driving normally, or smokes then you want to worry. When your truck is stock it smokes so little and so faint that you can barely tell if it's black, blue, or white.... since it's soo light grayish, light brownish...
Old 12-16-2006, 12:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintain View Post
what part of maryland are you from?

Here is my truck BEFORE the 10k
Video of New Exhaust I installed on my truck from MBRP - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Usually the first time I hit it pretty good after a startup, it would smoke some. If you're seeing it at night it's more the heat and haze you see in the headlights behind you. If it's during the day it's probably not enough for other motorists to see! Anyways, if it smokes like the video that's fine, that's how about all of the 11 7.3 stock PSD's that I'm in contact with smoke.

IF it does that EVERYTIME you have decent accel, or just driving normally, or smokes then you want to worry. When your truck is stock it smokes so little and so faint that you can barely tell if it's black, blue, or white.... since it's soo light grayish, light brownish...
I'm actually near you, in Harford.

Thanks for the vid, yep, pretty much the same. When it got out in the open more, it seemed like a lot but judging by how much smoke there was in the vid it seems it would be about what I had. No worries.

I'm still convinced weather had something to do with it.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:19 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds good...

Well if you are doing anything to your truck as far as upgrades are concerned IE: Chip, gauges, intake, exhaust, etc... or just fixing something gimme a shout! I can help ya out...

Last edited by Marty; 12-17-2006 at 01:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.