Some Basic Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Some Basic Questions

Well, I am settling into life with my new to me and very beloved eary 99 7.3 PSD

This past weekend was my first experience with a non-start situation due to cold weather... it was about -45F and my batteries just could not handle turning that starter. This was one of those situations where I did not mean for the truck to be stranded out in the woods when the cold spell hit, but its just the nature of how it all happened that I got back 2 days later than I had planned and it was COLD! Thank goodness my fuel was not gelled too bad. All it took was getting some friends to jump BOTH batteries and she fired right up, though I doubt it was getting as much oil as it needed... oh well not gonna let it happen again ... gotta love these things! Today I am getting a pair of those Optima Redtop Batteries to help prevent that from happening again and am planning on switching to a lower viscosity oil.... anyhow I digress...

Tonight is fuel filter change night, will be my first time. Thus I have searched the forums and am led to believe the following:
1. My early 99 7.3 has 2 fuel filters... one on the right hand side frame rail and another basically on top of the engine (same canister as the water separator) Whether or not they are the same part number is as yet unclear to me.

2. I plan to run Rotella Synthetic 5W-40 in this thing during winter (temps RARELY above 0F) and probably the 15W-40 during the summer... any thoughts or warnings on this would be appreciated...

Next my truck seems awfully loud, especially in the cold weather, I am a bit worried about this and am wondering what could be wrong... has plenty of pick-up and go and runs smooth, but just very loud! Hard to have a conversation in the cab if running more than 1800 RPMs

Lastly, I think I started to have some gelling problems last night since it would only run at lower RPMS and the outside temperature was getting colder and colder by the minute. It was definitely a fuel delivery problem since I sort of solved the problem by adding more fuel from a more reliable source as well as some Cetane booster by PS, but as the temperatures continued to plummet the problem came back. What is the best thing to add to this darn ULSD to get it to perform at these extreme temps? I read a little bit about Opti-Lube and was thinking of using it, any thoughts?

Any help or comments/suggestions are much appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2008, 05:53 PM
back to business

Are you using PS "diesel kleen" or the "fuel additive +cetane"?

I use diesel kleen in the summer, but switch to the "fuel additive +cetane boost" (the white bottle) in the colder months, and my fuel has been good down to about -40.

BTW - where are you at that you're seen 45 below (interior I'm guessing) It's been chilly in the Anchorage area (-18 last night at my house, and I saw a balmy high of -1 this afternoon) but not -45 chilly.....Brrrrrrr.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you can run 10W30 in the summer, okay for up to 90F. I run 10W30 year round, never gets REAL hot here.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My truck is noisey aswell when its cold.. It will get much more quiet when you change the oil.. Look up on youtube the longevity injection tune up. The dude knows his stuff. I think there are 4 parts to it and you will learn alot. Make sure you have a baster and dont use any small tubing that will fall inside the hpop.. Im still kicking myself for that. But on a lighter note the truck is much more quiet.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:57 AM
Premium Member

Now its -50 at home

Well, its now about -49F here .... fuel started to gel again this morning. I am using the white bottle PS fuel additive plus cetane... man this is a pain. I used to drive a dodge 2500 CTD several years ago (before the ULSD) and I honestly think it did much better than this stuff for low temp gelling. Anyone have a good additive to keep a person good down to -55F?

Thanks for the reference to youtube longevity service... I agree that guy knows what he is doing. I will be working on this hopefully later today if it warms up enough to run to town and pick up some oil.

Thanks again...
Old 12-31-2008, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Are you plugging in the block heater at night? That should help the engine start up in the mornings.

BTW, My truck is louder when cold too. I live in CA. Low temps here would be warm to you. Gets to freezing about 10 times in the 'winter'.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:22 AM
back to business

I don't know what to tell you man................ maybe MOVE!!!

Check into what the truckers around you are using for an additive.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:03 AM
Premium Member

Well, I talked with the local fuel stop for truckers and it seems they use Howes for preventing gelling. I will hopefully go pick some up later today if things warm up. As to plugging in, this morning my truck was in a garage that was about 5 or 10 above, so it should have been fine. I started it right up and backed outside and in about 15 minutes it stopped running because the fuel filter had plugged with waxy particulates. I put a heater pad on the filter and waited 15 minutes and it fired right up and I put it back in the shop.
By the way, you can bank on the fact that I am plugging in consistently, and not just my block heater but the oil and tranny pan heaters, the battery blankets, and the trickle chargers too! Can't wait for it to "warm up" to less than -40

Thanks again!
Old 12-31-2008, 11:09 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Man thats cold!! The only fuel filter you have on the truck is the one on top of the engine. There are no others unless someone put an aftermarket one in
Old 12-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
man, when i was in alaska in july i thought it was cold in the mornings

i would freeze to death if its under 0*f
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.