Hubs locked? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hubs locked?

Just curious if drving around with my hubs locked in 2wd will hurt anything.? Wish i had auto hubs sometimes when i need that launch for a ricer. Wouldnt be something i would do all the time. But if i new i was goin out with a bud planning on smokin up the streets for the night if it would be ok. Thanks by the way its a 03 7.3l.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
just your MPG
Old 12-29-2008, 05:31 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

If there locked in 2 wheel drive they ain't locked!!! And MPG isn't affected. If you mean locked in ( meaning locked into the front diff) this is fine and won't do any damage. I use to leave mine locked in all winter.

NCH
Old 12-29-2008, 08:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
If there locked in 2 wheel drive they ain't locked!!! And MPG isn't affected. If you mean locked in ( meaning locked into the front diff) this is fine and won't do any damage. I use to leave mine locked in all winter.

NCH
really.. i easily saw a 2mpg decrease when i forgot to unlock my hubs when i was driving to the dunes... and the way back i get better MPG with the same load but with them unlocked....
Old 12-29-2008, 08:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I keep mine locked at the hub all year. Kick it in at the dash only when I need 4wd (which is often) No real noticible mileage difference.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the fast reply's everyone. Not worried about mpg not my daily driver, just a weekend warrior/pull truck.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:16 AM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via Yahoo to big25country
I had a right front stuck locked for I don't know how long. I started getting a vibration on that wheel, and that entire hub was worn out and had to be replaced. I do not suggest running with the hubs in the locked position at all times. It will cause wear and tear. Your tires are driving your front end, and the transfer case. Kinda backwards from the way it's supposed to work. Sending power from the transfer case to the tires. This is just my reconmendation and my opinion. I've ran 4x4's for awhile now and if there were ok to be locked all the time, then there wouldn't be a hub there for the option. Trust me, I know it's not convient(sp) but, nor will replacing your transfer case when it blows from all those 4x4 launches. Sorry, don't mean to be a Grinch, I've seen too many transfer cases blown due to loading them up in such a manner.

Again, I'm very sorry to sound like a turd head. Just my $0.02
Old 12-29-2008, 09:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If they are locked you will notice a mpg difference between them being locked and unlocked due to the fact that you have more moving parts now.. So you essentially due put more wear on the parts such as front axles/u joints and front diff and front drive shaft joints. I personally never leave mine locked for long period of time. I go out the night or day before it snows and lock them and then the day after i unlock them.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My dad has had his hubs locked in since day one and he has over 50,000 on the odo and no problems to date.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredpowerstroke View Post
My dad has had his hubs locked in since day one and he has over 50,000 on the odo and no problems to date.
Im not saying you will have problems. Im just saying that you will notice a difference in the mpg due to the fact of more moving parts thats all. Look at dodge and chevy.. They are locked all the time they dont have hubs.. Its locked all the time so the parts are always moving all the time. Do I personally think its a good thing no. I prefer to keep as little moving parts as I need. Less things I have to worry about.. So I like fords way of having lockable hubs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.