Hydroboost line BLEW off!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2008, 07:31 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to big25country
Hydroboost line BLEW off!!!

Had to replace the hydro boost line tonight in the Mall parking lot! Here's the story.

Went to the Mall to return the clothes I got for Christmas that didn't fit and see if there were any good post Christmas sales at Sears! After weaving through the parking lot a couple of times, on another turn I heard a loud POP in the frontend and my steering wheel stoped! So, I mash the brake pedal only to feel it go to the floor and have put alot of pressure on it to get the truck to stop. Now I'm in the middle of both lanes, holiday traffice everywhere, and I have to summon my Hulk strength to 5 point turn this thing out of the way. I find a parking spot, pop the hood and see the PS (powersteering) fluid bleeding everywhere. The hydroboost line blew out of the PS pump. I'm glad I've done the Foil Delete to give me the extra 1/4" of room because there aint much there. It took as long to get the new line to thread into the PS pump as it did to go home, get my tools, get the new line, get back, and remove the bad one. To top it off, where I parked was right by the main entrance to the Mall and I had to deal with all the people passing by hooting and hollering at me with my rearend hanging out while I was bent over, up on the radiator support in the engine bay. I'm 6 foot tall, 250 lbs., and my "work on my truck clothes", lets just say they've seen better days and were more complete in the bottom area than they are now. So, needless to say I had a great evening. Everything is ok now, the PS pump whines a little now, probably due to a couple of minutes without PS fluid. Hopefully it will survive until after tax returns come in.

Hope this wasn't too boring. Only thing I could suggest, go ahead and remove your post intercooler pipe (the one with the foil, if you haven't taken the foil off yet) becaust that will give you lots more room.

Thanks for reading. All questions and comments welcome, post up or PM me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2008, 07:47 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

wow sux that that happened! always at the most oppurtune time huh?? Glad you got it fixed pretty easily.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via Yahoo to big25country
Thanks for the sympathy. Yeah, always at the worst time. Luckly it wasn't something worse, and we know there are a ton of things that could be worse.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Funny story. Just wanted to mention that I think your pump will probably be fine. I punched a hole in the little cooler for that pump (hangs out in front of the radiator down low) and when I fixed it I had some whine from the pump for about 30 miles until I think it purged all of the air out of the pump and lines, etc. I've put about 3000 miles on it since and its doing fine so far.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:51 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
I had to replace this same line this year. I slammed on my brakes because of a deer jumping out in front of me. The next thing I know I hear a whining sound and the brake pedal felt funny. Got home and popped the hood, and when I stepped on the brake pedal powersteering fluid shot up at the hood. Replaced the line and the problem was solved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.