Glow Plug Amps - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2008, 07:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glow Plug Amps

I did a check on my glow plugs to see if they were working and here is the results. I used a clamp on meter and initially it went to 198 amps and then started falling off by about 10 to 15 amps until it reached 110 approx. To me it looks like its working but I couldn't find any info about whether they are supposed to decrease that fast. It makes sense to me that when heating up resistance decreases. It got about 5 below last nite and when I went to start it it was about 7 and it cranked like crazy and finally popped off. I didn't want to plug it in since I just put new interestates in and wanted to test themn good. Just thought I would see if this seems right. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

That isn't how to check your GP's, all that will show you is the GPR is working. Follow the procedure in the below link.

Troubleshooting GPR & GP's
Old 12-26-2008, 10:05 AM

I have read that article and it is very informative. I had read where each plug should pull about 25 amps and since I had access to a clamp on I thought it easier to check that way. I was just concerned about the drop in amps. But it sounds like a better way to go is to ohm them out so that is what I will do.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:20 AM

Well, actually if you put the amp meter on the out-going wire off the relay (the big one that feeds the actual glow-plugs) then yes that is a feasable way of checking the glow plug system operation. It obviously won't check each glow plug. Each glow plug should pull 15 to 20 amps which is approximately 0.5 to 1 ohm of resistance for each one which is the "good" range if you check them with an ohm-meter under the valve cover in the wiring harness plug. So a properly working system in theory should draw 120 to 160 amps total (not the initial spike). If it's getting lower than 120 you may have 1 or 2 plugs that are getting a high-resistance open and more than 160 amps and some of them are starting to short out. This is a good quick test just to see if the system is working but to truely sort out glow plug issues you're gonna have to go a little deeper.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

Without being able to separate each individual GP wire it means nothing, except you have power going through the GPR, which is what I already stated. Takes 10 min to pull the harness and ohm out each plug, this way you are checking each one separately.
Good Luck,

NCH
Old 12-26-2008, 04:12 PM

I'll try and pull harness this weekend. All I have here is a analog meter, so hopefully I can get a good enough reading, or will get a digital. Will let you guys know what I find.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If you have power going thru the gpr the only place it can go is to the glow plugs the amp test does test the glow plugs
Old 01-29-2009, 06:17 PM

Yes it does test the plugs. But as they warm up the amps drops off. As my case I seen an initial 199 peak and then it dropped to 110 over several seconds. The only true way to see if the plugs are up to par is the resistance test. I do think the amp test will give you a quick baseline if major problem exist though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.