egt temp before shut down??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
egt temp before shut down???

Just wondering what EGT's should be at before shutting the engine off? I heard you are suppose to let the vehicle idle before shutting down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2006, 03:56 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
I try to let it get down to at least 300 degrees. At the minimum, (and the truck is going to sit for a while) let it idle for about 45 secs to a minute. If your just running into a store really quick, I'd just let it run. I do.

If I'm popping into the quickee mart for smokes and a drink...the truck is running. (Sitting where I can see it of course.)
Old 12-13-2006, 04:09 PM
The Fat Mod

Yeah, 300* is what I usually do, if you can coast into your parking space, it will speed up the process.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:12 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditty View Post
I try to let it get down to at least 300 degrees. At the minimum, (and the truck is going to sit for a while) let it idle for about 45 secs to a minute. If your just running into a store really quick, I'd just let it run. I do.

If I'm popping into the quickee mart for smokes and a drink...the truck is running. (Sitting where I can see it of course.)
And one day you will see it going by-by. Oh! no sir Mr. Policeman I didn't lock the doors, I left it running..
Old 12-13-2006, 04:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD40 View Post
Oh! no sir Mr. Policeman I didn't lock the doors, I left it running..

That's the cool part about a Lariat or King Ranch. I just hit the 7 & 9 buttons when I get out and the doors are locked! Punch in my code when I come back and the door unlocks.

I'm not a big fan of leaving an unattended truck idle, but I will do it for a stop of less than 1 minute. Of course around here the police can write you a ticket for it. Like I've never seen one of their cars running unattended!
Old 12-13-2006, 04:48 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
When I leave it I keep a VERY good eye on it; always right in front where I can see it and never for more than a min or two...just enough time to get what I need and leave. I would like to have a way to lock it while running but getting to my hidden spare is a PITA and not condusive to stopping for a quick min. Also, I will NOT leave it running if I sense questionable characters around.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to Lavos4
Instead of all of that why don't you just get a turbo timer and call it a day?
Old 12-14-2006, 05:34 AM
Serving Our Country!

Lavos4 hit it on the head. I set mine for about 5 minutes, turn off the switch, pull out the key, and run in the store. The second someone touches the brake, the engine dies. And that's when they find out that there isn't a key to start it with! Hasn't happened yet, but it'd sure be expensive without the Diesel Turbo Life Saver installed. Besides, all thieves don't appear unsavory!
Old 12-14-2006, 08:43 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
Lavos4 hit it on the head. I set mine for about 5 minutes, turn off the switch, pull out the key, and run in the store. The second someone touches the brake, the engine dies. And that's when they find out that there isn't a key to start it with! Hasn't happened yet, but it'd sure be expensive without the Diesel Turbo Life Saver installed. Besides, all thieves don't appear unsavory!
My turbo timer has a dial on it and I turned it all the way till it stopped and it only runs 55 seconds. How do i set it to run longer since that dial won't go up anymore.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:25 AM

I've installed a remote start - Bulldog Deluxe 500. It has the ability to do the same thing as the turbo timer, allowing the vehicle to stay running for a set amount of time, up to 5 minutes I believe, and shutting down if/when the brake pedal is pressed. The unit was $120ish through Amazon.com and installed myself. This may be a better option than the turbo timer as you also get a remote start with it. My $.02.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.