Safe way to clean engine compartment??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 08:36 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Safe way to clean engine compartment???

Guys, I was under the hood of my newly purchased 2000 F250 7.3 turbo 4x2 and I noticed there is a bunch of grime and nasties down in the valley and along some of the pipes on the turbo. Is there any safe way to clean this without totally screwing something up under there? I can work on my Jeep in my sleep but this whole diesel thing is make me wonder if I made the right decision (needed the power to tow the Jeep) because I know nothing about them. By the way, it's 10 degrees here with about 2.5 feet of snow on the ground. Any guidance is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2008, 08:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to ford_trck
Well if it wasn't so cold I would spray the engine with some simple green or a good decreaser and use a garden hose to spray it off. I do it with the engine running because that way if you spray something and it shuts off you have an idea where you screwed up. Don't use anything more than a garden hose though a pressure washer will have too much pressure and then you can start cutting wires and doing things you really don't want to do.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:45 AM

Do you have a local car wash that runs hot water in the winter, if so use a mild degreaser and spray down the engine( I usually don't use the full pressure by not pulling the trigger on the wand).
Old 12-23-2008, 08:47 AM

If you do wash the motor down, make sure you cover the alternator with something(i use a plastic bag), and cover the air filter as well.

If you can't get hot water, i'd prolly just wait until spring time
Old 12-23-2008, 08:52 AM

Guys, is there anything in the "valley" area that I need to stay away from... that seems to be where all the grime is (I even think I saw a few acorns down there)? The local quarter washes here all use warm water and have low preseure settings... I just don't want to get moisture somewhere that will cause me more problems either immediately or down the road. Should I do this with the engine running or no?
Old 12-23-2008, 08:54 AM

The only thing bad about spraying it while running is if you have cracked boost boots, they will let water into the turbo housing.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:57 AM

I know that mine was the same way when I got it this past summer.I went through 2 bottles of simple green.I sprayed the hell out of it with my power washer on high 2,800psi and did not cover anything and I had no preblems.But I can't garuntee you would have the same luck.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:12 AM

ive washed the engine with high pressure on every vehicle ive ever owned and all ive gotten is water in dist cap or a brief check engine
Old 12-23-2008, 12:15 PM

So what I hearing is that it shouldn't be aproblem to lather it up with degreaser and then rinse it off afterwards being carfull not to fill the alternator and other sensative areas where ingested water could do damage. Better idea to have the engine running or off?
Old 12-23-2008, 12:16 PM

Mine had a huge rat nest in the valley when I got it. There is nothing in the valley bottom to worry about. Be sure to clear the hole at the rear of the valley which will let the water drain mostly out.

In my case I had to shop-vac the rat nest up and then flush the valley with water until all of the nasty debris (turds) was gone. Then it will be pretty clean and your next diesel leak will dissolve most of the remaining grease. Expect the next leak to come from the yellow lever! It will fill the valley if you don't have the drain cleared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.