pulling advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
pulling advice

I pulled my 5er home yesterday the sticker in it says 9700 lbs empty. I had my edge set to level 1 towing. The truck seemed to handle it ok and I never really got over 1000 on the egts unless I was really pushing it.

My truck seemed to do ok when I got up to speed but really seemed to feel it taking off from a stop.

when moving, I was in od and it never really hunted for a gear till we got down to around 50 to 55 mph. otherwise it was in od and happy.

The truck seemed happiest around 2k rpm and held in OD just fine.

so is it better to pull at 2k rpm (65 to 67 ish) or should I get the RPMs up or down?

Last edited by tubular031; 12-18-2008 at 12:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2008, 12:56 PM

2000 - 2200 rpm's is your trucks happy place when it comes to the torque peak. It will not hurt anything but your wallet to cruise at a higher rpm. That's a sweet looking trailer and truck ya got there. I keep looking and dreaming in craigslist.com at 5th wheel travel trailers.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Fire View Post
2000 - 2200 rpm's is your trucks happy place when it comes to the torque peak. It will not hurt anything but your wallet to cruise at a higher rpm. That's a sweet looking trailer and truck ya got there. I keep looking and dreaming in craigslist.com at 5th wheel travel trailers.
yep I could tell that 2000 was about right and a few times I hit 2100 to 2200 (at 70 mph) and at that point the truck almost felt like it was hardly working at all! I am sure the MPGs were in the crapper at that point! I am working on my wvo system and all that wont matter too much when I am done!

This was one of those right place at the right time deals. funtime rv in denton is near my resturant that I get my oil from and we stopped in there one day to dream. They were showing me the 40k+ even 1 55k+ unit. they were sweet! but I could not afford that. Then 2 weeks later the sales guy calls me on friday and says he just took in a used unit that he felt was perfect for me. we were going to pick up oil on sat anyway, so what the heck we stopped in and looked. This thing is an 04 but only used a few times. it still has that new rv smell! I got them to throw in the hitch for the truck, a hitch on the rear of the 5er and also a 3 yr warranty! look around, there are lots of people looking to get out from under these things now a days with the market sucking so much.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:11 PM

I hear ya. I am just waiting on a good deal like that to jump out at me. Are you doing your own wvo system or are you buying a kit to install???
Old 12-18-2008, 01:15 PM

I am building my own kinda based on the vegiestroke and leons design from wvodesigns. I am waiting on parts at the moment got most of them so far just waiting on my FPHE (should be here anyday now) and some of my fittings are on backorder from the hydro shop (no idea when they will be in )
Old 12-18-2008, 01:30 PM

Sounds good and good luck with the conversion. We have the best trucks suited for wvo conversions. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me an email and I can get you my number. I have learned a lot in the last year since I converted my truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.