Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

how do you track down a boost leak?

784 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  NCHornet 
#1 ·
i'm trying to figure out where this weird boost leak is coming from.. i recently did the foil delete so that makes me think it's from putting the i/c pipe back in wrong but i don't know. cruising at 40mph in high gear, in any of the tunes, my truck sits at about, maybe 1100-1200 rpm's and boost generally goes no higher than 8psi before downshifting. i'm noticing this drop in boost, and a whooshing noise from under the hood, but only when i'm at about 1100-1200 rpms and at about 3-4psi of boost and hit a load (like a small incline) and start to give it a little more pedal. with the tunes my truck can sit in those low rpm's and pull itself up the hill with the low end grunt, and it still does but feels a little less responsive and once i start giving it pedal the boost gauge goes to 0. then when my truck downshifts it goes up to whatever psi, you know, 18, 20, 26, etc. and it doesn't lose boost in the HIGHER PSI's, only in the lower ones. what gives? :dunno:

#2 ·
Soapy water on the intercooler boots works

#3 ·
The easiest way is to go to the plumbing section, you can buy a rubber boot that will fir over the intake plumbing, on the other end get a threaded cap and hose clamp the boot to the threaded part of the cap. Now drill a holw in the square plug on the end of the cap and screw in the correct compressor fitting, apply some silicone to the threads to help seal it. Now slide the other end of the rubber boot over the intake and tighten with a hose clamp. Now you can apply air pressure ( 25 psi should be fine) and look for boost leaks.
NCH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.