Custom chip vs Custom tuner difference? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2008, 05:24 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Custom chip vs Custom tuner difference?

My 2000 7.3 has an Elite diesel custom chip, when I am in stock mode the truck feels sluggish but when I turn it up to level 3 it feels pretty strong. When turning up to any level, the motor becomes noisier. I assume this is from injector timing being advanced. A friend of mine has an 2001 7.3 with a Super chips programmer. His motor is quite when in stock mode or running through the tuner. Shouldn't the Super chips tuner increase injector timing also, therefore making more noise or do they do something else to get more power? I also notice that the throttle pedal in my truck isn't very responsive in stock mode until I hit about 1/2 to 3/4 pedal but when on other levels it becomes very sensitive. Is this normal? After driving with the chip, I find it very aggravating to drive in stock mode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2008, 07:07 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

There is no comparison between a generic tune and a true "custom" tuned from someone like DP or TW. The generic stuff does little more than boost fuel delivery and bump the timing up, while a true performance tune will affect countless variables in the powertrain. I would lookat cleaning your TPS on the pedal assembly, but it shouldn't be sluggish without the tune and then respond with it. You may want to talk with the Elite.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:53 AM
Powerstroke Techie

The superchips programmer is a pretty weak tuner, I had one, it doesn’t make more than about 20 psi boost and doesn’t make the truck rattle louder. All in all it is probably one of the safest ones you can get. As far as chip compared to tuner, it all depends on the programs in the chip or tuner. I had a predator tuner and it made her rattle loud and put out over 30 psi boost and would run circles around the SCMT tuner. Basically a chip is for switch on the fly and a tuner is for staying with the same tune all the time. You can get a wide variety of programming on either one.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Over the counter tunes:

Custom tunes:
:burnout

No other way to put it.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:23 PM

Custom chip vs Custom tuner difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jimmy View Post
My 2000 7.3 has an Elite diesel custom chip, when I am in stock mode the truck feels sluggish but when I turn it up to level 3 it feels pretty strong. When turning up to any level, the motor becomes noisier. I assume this is from injector timing being advanced. A friend of mine has an 2001 7.3 with a Super chips programmer. His motor is quite when in stock mode or running through the tuner. Shouldn't the Super chips tuner increase injector timing also, therefore making more noise or do they do something else to get more power? I also notice that the throttle pedal in my truck isn't very responsive in stock mode until I hit about 1/2 to 3/4 pedal but when on other levels it becomes very sensitive. Is this normal? After driving with the chip, I find it very aggravating to drive in stock mode.
NCHornet,

I thought the increase in timing is what makes one rattle louder? Should I try pulling the Elite diesel chip out and see how it runs in stock mode or would that not make a difference? What boost numbers should I be seeing with the truck in my signature? Another friend of mine just purchased an 02 7.3 and it came with the Predator tuner. We ran it in stock mode and performance mode and honestly I can't tell a difference between the 2.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Powerstroke Techie

When mine had mods roughly equal to that she would run about 30 psi boost.
The Diablo sport Predator tuner would make my truck go from a 0-60 time of about 14 seconds stock to about 9 seconds with the tuner and it would roll good smoke with it too. We have also used the same tuner with my buddies 01 with similar results. Currently he runs that tuner and muffler delete and DIY filter (so pretty much stock truck) and he can hang with my truck with its current mods and the TW custom chip.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jimmy View Post
NCHornet,

I thought the increase in timing is what makes one rattle louder? Should I try pulling the Elite diesel chip out and see how it runs in stock mode or would that not make a difference? What boost numbers should I be seeing with the truck in my signature? Another friend of mine just purchased an 02 7.3 and it came with the Predator tuner. We ran it in stock mode and performance mode and honestly I can't tell a difference between the 2.
The older programmers for the 7.3 didnt have near the adjustability that they have now.I had the memory upgraded on mine about a month ago and it does pretty good for a 4x4.I have custom tunes according to my mods and what I ask for,mileage is decent and power is all that I can ask for.28 to 30 lbs of boost and can fry my 285's .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.