Extend Oil Service Intervals - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 06:57 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Extend Oil Service Intervals

Not to start a war ,but I wanted to get the general thoughts on oil services.

Here are my questions.

1.) Bypass filteration systems? What are the perfermed systems? Have people been happy with them. Any report and tests? Install procedures

2.) Oil. What are the preferred premium oils? Test and data

I have a attached my baseline. This is a 2000 Powerstroke with 63K miles on it. The oil was Rotel T 15W40 with 4 K miles on it. The top end (HPOP reservoir) and bottom end are changed together.

My baseline results were:

Wear Metals (PPM)
Cu 9 Fe 12 Cr 0 Al 1 Pb 2 Sn 0 Si 2 Na 2 K 8 Mo 2 Ni 0 Ca 2172 Mg 77 Zn 1149 P 994

Oil Condition/Particle Count (ct/ml)
ST 0 Oxi 17 Nit 5 SUL 20 W N A N F N V100 13.6

What service intervals are people running? Runing bypass? Oils? Let have data not my friend said.

Thanks

Last edited by OhioRiverCigarette; 12-13-2008 at 07:02 AM. Reason: details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I was thinking of running the amsoil pure synthetic 15-40 and it says it can go up to 15k or a year on severe use on the truck if you use one of there filters as well. Maybe someone will chime in on there product and we can know if it is possible.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I just installed a FS 2500 and amsoil 15w40 about 2 months ago. It has noticeably quieted the engine and I have seen a slight increase in mpg, nothing huge but .5 mpg or so. I havent put enough miles on it yet to see what kind of service interval I will be able to go. Install was quick and easy. Let me know if there is anything I can help with
Old 12-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRiverCigarette View Post
The top end (HPOP reservoir) and bottom end are changed together
Is that necessary? I've heard both sides but haven't seen any facts. Just wondering your input.

by-pass filtration does WONDERS and I'm not sure it matters who's "kit" you use, or make your own. It's a "technology" that filtered down from the long-haul industry as is running centrifuges on engines. Now the filter makers are kind of combining two filters into one, a by-pass set-up so to speak.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubl_t View Post
Is that necessary? I've heard both sides but haven't seen any facts. Just wondering your input.

by-pass filtration does WONDERS and I'm not sure it matters who's "kit" you use, or make your own. It's a "technology" that filtered down from the long-haul industry as is running centrifuges on engines. Now the filter makers are kind of combining two filters into one, a by-pass set-up so to speak.
No this isn't necessary. People are watching that idiot on the internet and now this "draining the HPOP" is all over the forums. It is a good way to get air into your HPO system and these things can be a real pain to burp that air out of!!!
Extended Oil runs needs to be done right, and if done right, I don't see a big advantage over reg changes. For a bypass system the single Amsoil is okay but filters are way to expensive, the FS2500 is way over priced, but somebody has to pay for their 6 pages of hype in every diesel mag on the planet, the oilguard single bypass is probably one of the best reasonably priced systems out there. In order to run extended service UOA's are critical, so you know how your oil is doing, the full flow still has to be changed at regular intervals. So buy the time you figure the cost of all this in there really isn't much savings to be had. The dyno oils of today are far supperior to lubricants 20 years ago, and changing the oil and filters at regular intervals is key to prolonging the life of your engine and powertrain. I am going to add a single bypass system to my truck, not for extended service though, I will still continue my 5K intervals, every UOA I have done ( every third oil change) they all tell me to go 7500 on the next sample, but I prefer being safe than sorry. So add up the cost yourself, only you can say if extended oil service is good for you.

NCH
Old 12-13-2008, 04:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

eventually I'll add a by-pass system too, just for complexity's sake Like NC said, lube and filter tech has come a LONG way even in the last 5yrs. of course the demand these engines (mfgrs) place on lubricants is CRAZY (no more using corn oil in a pinch).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.