Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Injector Fixed

631 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Hawker 
#1 ·
Well, brought the truck to the shop today and had the injector changed. good thing i had the contribution test and didn't just assume it was #8. because it was #7.

drove it home and had rediculous amounts of white smoke for a bit, now it's clear. the starting is a bit of an issue still, like it's struggling to fire. i think my GPR is going bad, but that's a seperate issue. is it normally hard starting for a while after doing an injector like that?

#2 ·
Yes but it shouldn't stay that way for long. It usually cleans up in a few minutes. Need to get the engine up to temp to burn away.

#3 ·
the smoke cleaned up, yes, but it still takes a while to crank.

#4 ·
You need to put some miles on the truck to work the air out of the fuel and oil systems. When I pull injectors on my truck I can expect about a 50-80 mile range before the air is all worked out of my engine. Once the air is out the truck should start like it used to.

#5 ·
this is gonna sound stupid, but in the time it takes the truck to get back to starting normally, will the 'cackle' not sound smooth? maybe i'm just used to hearing it differently, but it seems like it can be smoother.

and i'm well over 100 miles since the injector, mainly highway and it's still starting funky. like it wants to turn over, but can't unless i hold the key.

#6 ·
update

I just talked to the shop. he said he's seen trucks go for a week starting like that having to purge the aeration from the system. he did say to change the oil to help it, and thinking of it, i am at my 3000 mi interval.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.