turbo problem?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
turbo problem??

truck and mods in my sig...yesterday i was towing my 5er (somewhere between 11-12K) and noticed that when under moderate acceleration, such as pulling a hill, boost would build to about 12psi and stop and would start sounding like the turbo fart, such as when you get on it really good and it shifts gears. but it is in overdrive and running around 1900 rpm and just hangs at 12 psi boost and farting. if i back off a little it stops, if i step in more it gets worse. also when it does this i notice that the boost guage needle bounces slightly. if i kick it out of overdrive it will stop farting and will boost up to about 24psi if i floor it. this is something new, it didn't used to do this, and i have not done any mods or anything since the last time i towed. is it possible the wastegate could be opening and causing this? any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2008, 07:04 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

sounds like you are losing boost somewhere. check all your clamps and boots on your intercooler pipes and intakes(under the Y pipe off the turbo) you an take em off and clean them with carb cleaner, and then spray the inside with hairspray before you put em abck on and that will help seal them
Old 12-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

but the only time it does it is in overdrive pulling my 5er. any other gear it doesn't happen, and not pulling a load it doesn't do it at all in any gear no matter how hard i get on it. it will hit 23-24 psi no prob, unless in overdrive pulling my 5er, then it farts. would a boost leak sound like turbo farts?
Old 12-09-2008, 07:20 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

I think they could. Are your revs comming up any when it does it? Maybe its you TC?

Hope someone else chimes in....
Old 12-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

possibly surge?
Old 12-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i'm pretty sure it's not the tc, the tach stays pretty steady. the boost gauge flutters just slightly. It sounds exactly like the turbo fart, but it is not shifting gears when this happens. if i apply more fuel, it farts more without building any more boost, and if i decrease fuel it stops farting. is the amount of boost the turbo is capable of producing dependant on engine rpm? meaning, under heavy acceleration when boost goes way up, does the engine rpm need to be high enough to absorb all the boost being created to prevent excess pressure from "farting" back through the intake? come to think of it, this is the first time i have pulled a steep grade since putting on the open air intake. is it possible it has always done this and i just never noticed it with the stock air intake? or am i just talking outta my arse?
Old 12-09-2008, 08:07 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

I think its surge. Surge is bad. Surge is when the turbo is taking in all the air possible under a load and it backs up and actually tries making the turbo spin the opposite direction. If it gets worse, the only option to cure it is the ATS housing.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Open intake will help you hear what's been happening the whole time...surge!
Old 12-09-2008, 08:09 PM
scuffs *****

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Your sig says you have a WG disconnect, so shouldn't it not open anymore and just give you boost all the time no matter what? The only time I've seen Turbo farts are right before I turbo blows. But, I have never had this problem so I don't know what the problem could be. I dont think RPM means anytihng to boost. You are only going to get a certain amount of boost at a certain RPM because of exhaust speed, thats what turns the Turbo. I don't want to be a negative Nancy, but your turbo might be getting ready to take a dump. I could be wrong?
Old 12-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to cchase
do you have a tranny gauge?

Edit, I read your sig. Whats the temps on your trans when this is happening, and is this different the them temps you useally run?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.