Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

One better than the other?

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  dsljnky 
#1 ·
Are the castings of the 99-03 7.3s the same? Is one stronger than another? I heard in Cummins that the '02 24V blocks are the strongest out of all the 24Vs. I didnt know if this applied to the PSDs also. If there is a difference which is better? Thanks for the in-site.

#6 ·
I think the 99 and 00 blocks were better and mid 01 they changed the rods to a different style of metal. Need to do some research if your really interested, it's out there.

#11 ·
There is such a huge myth of the forums regarding the evil PMR'S!!! Unless you are building a powerplant to exceed 400HP who cares!! How may actually do this? I would say less than 5% of all owners. Foe the engine that IH built, in the HP ratings given to them, the PMR's are just fine!! Unless you can show me multiple failures in stock configurations due to the PMR's it is a myth. But thousands of people get it in their head that PMR's are bad!! The factory intake won't flow enough air for 400 hp either, but you don't hear everyone bagging on the intake do you? If you plan on building a engine to exceed 400 hp you are going to need to get into the block anyway so buy a Forged engine, it will save a few bucks, for the rest of the 95% PSD owners I see no reason for this to be a consideration in purchasing a vehicle.
Now the 2001 with mech diode in the auto trans that is something I would avoid unless it has been rebuilt.
Ferd really got cheap in 05 when they dropped the plig for the block heater wheel well liners, coutersy lights in the doors and glove box, underhood isulation to name a few.
Sorry I just needed to clear this up

NCH

#13 ·
good post. you dont need to be scared of PMRs we have an 02 with them, and its got the basics, chip, exhuast, intake. and it runs and preforms well. tows all the time.

Now my 99 would have probably windowed the block with PMRs already. but I guess that im in that 5%

Well thank you, I was just courious.
What is PMR? :dunno:
Powder Metal Rods. just not as strong as forged

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.