Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

99 SKIPPING OR MISSING

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  TU10X 
#1 ·
have a 99 F350 that has a miss or lunging but it seems to do it when it not under a load. I do a lot of towing with this truck almost everyday and it seems to lunge when changing from 1 to 2 gear and again when I come up to speed and level out it will do it again, it has a miss when at idle also. But when you are pulling a hill with a load it don't seem to have any problems unless you let off of it and then you can feel a slight miss. This has been going on for a while and seems to be getting a little worse as time goes by, at first I only noticed it on the interstate when I was in cruise and it reached the set speed it would lunge when it let off the engine. I have replaced the cam position sensor. A friend of mine ran the codes a while back and I can't recall the numbers of the codes but one was something to do with the wastegate, the other was something to do with pressures higher or lower than desired. I run a bully dog system on it at 100 over, straight 4 inch exh. system. When I unplug the bully dog it really runs sluggish but when hook up it seems to mask the problem a little better. The only other problem I seem to notice is when I'm on the interstate towing in criuse at about 70 mph and start to pull a hill, as it starts to ask for more power it will miss or skip pretty hard, if i let off of it it seems to go away. I hope this info is enough for some of you that know your way around the 7.3 to point me in a direction as to what the cause may be. Also I run Rotella oil, and change around four to five thousand and it has 247,000 mile on it. Thanks for any help with this problem

See less See more
#3 ·
A friend of mine buzz the injectors and checked the cylinders and said they were OK, he has moved out of town now and it would be hard for me to get him to work on it now. He is about 9 hours away now. I was wondering if it might be the HPOP

#4 ·
No I doubt the Hpop, you need to get the codes read, that will help, the 1211 code will be from running a chip or tuner and nothing to worry about. I would check your UVC harness ( under valve cover) there is one on each side that carry power to the GP's and injectors, these are known to come loose and cause a miss, check for loose or burnt connections.

NCH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.